Tam Tam Mandingue Certification Guidelines
Students who are interested in representing Traditional Rhythms as taught by Mamady Keita may become TTM Certified Teachers and use the "DRTM" logo that appears below. As a TTM Certified Teacher, you must teach the program of TTM, protect and guard the Mandingue tradition, and represent and respect TTM. In order to receive this Certificate, you must pass a test given by Mamady Keita. Before testing, you must attend one of Mamady Keita's workshops in Guinea. In this test you must be able to play all of the following rhythms and solo techniques:
12 Original Solo Techniques
- Soli des Manians
Know a minimum of 60 traditional rhythms
Students will be tested on 5-10 rhythms only, they will be chosen at random by Mamady, and students will not know ahead of time which rhythms he will choose. The following information must be supplied for each rhythm:
- All Djembe accompaniment parts
- All Dunun parts
- Ethnic group
- Region it comes from
Before testing for certification, the student must attend one of Mamady Keita's workshops in Guinea to have a better understanding and to better represent the Mandingue culture.
All TTM Certified Teachers are welcome to attend the biannual D.R.T.M. Conference, a three-day event to discuss and exchange ideas on pedagogy, strategies for success and our future. This conference is followed by a special weekend professional workshop to review rhythms, original solos, history and tradition.
At least once every three years, each Certified Teacher is required to attend the workshop that follows the biannual D.R.T.M. Conference. This workshop will include a summary of news from the D.R.T.M. Conference. Certified Teachers are entitled to a discount of 25 percent on professional workshops. If a Certified Teacher does not attend at least one professional workshop within a three-year period, he or she will have to be re-certified by taking the exam with Mamady Keita.
After certification, TTM Certified Teachers are entitled to a 15 percent discount on Mamady's workshops in Guinea.
Certified TTM Teachers will be listed on the TTM website, and may have their websites linked to the TTM site. Pending resolution of a legal matter/restriction (US only), include Dubalen Association information/link in the school's website. NOTE: This type of link is currently not permitted for US schools.
Sharing of Student Database
All TTM Certified Teachers and TTM School Directors should supply student contact information (email, postal address, phone numbers) to TTM headquarters in San Diego. This will give all schools the benefit of international publicity and will strengthen our national and worldwide presence. Alternatively, where prohibited by law, TTM Certified Teachers and TTM School Directors shall supply students the opportunity to register with TTM headquarters in San Diego, so that they can obtain the latest TTM news.
NOTE: TTM Certified Teachers are NOT entitled to use the TTM logo. Use of the TTM logo is reserved for TTM School Directors only.
Guidelines For TTM Diploma
TTM Certified Teachers may go on to receive a TTM Diploma, which represents your knowledge and ability to teach Professional level students. Only TTM School Directors, or those that plan to open a TTM School, are eligible to test for a TTM Diploma. In order to receive a Diploma, you must play the following rhythms, breaks and solo techniques, create an original "Pyramid" composition, and attend at least one workshop in Guinea.
10 Dununba rhythms
Students will be tested on five of the following ten Dununba rhythms. They will be chosen at random by Mamady, and you will not know ahead of time which rhythms he will choose.
- Bandon Djeli
- Gberedu II
- Konowulen I
- Konowulen II
- Demussoni Kelen
Zaouli Rhythm & Breaks 1-8
- Zaouli rhythm and signal for Breaks 1-3
- Zaouli rhythm and signal for Break 4
- Zaouli rhythm and signal for Breaks 5-7
- Zaouli rhythm and signal for Break 8
Mamady's Solo Techniques
Detaching & Mixing of Original Solos
Improvise within the following rhythms, mixing in your own phrases with those of the Original Solos:
- Soli des Manians
Original Pyramid Composition
Submit a videotape of an original "Pyramid" that you compose specifically for this test using 3 rhythms.
Attend at least one Workshop in Guinea to discover the country, experience the culture and learn about the history of the djembe.
Guidelines for TTM School Directors
For those Accredited Teachers interested in opening a Branch of Mamady Keita's international school of percussion, Tam Tam Mandingue, the following requirements apply. As a TTM Director, in addition to following the guidelines listed for TTM Certified Teachers, you must also fulfill the requirements listed below. When Mamady Keita authorizes you to open a branch of TTM, you may then use the TTM logo.
Mission & Purpose
- Agree to TTM's Mission Statement and the mission of Mamady Keita
- To preserve West African Culture
- To pass on the tradition of the Djembe to all those interested
- To cooperate, not compete, with TTM on a national and international level
Classes and Workshops
- Before receiving your Branch of TTM, you must provide evidence of a consistent schedule of classes and programming for at least one year.
- Sponsor at least one workshop per year with Mamady at your school, depending on Mamady's availability.
Attend the annual D.R.T.M. Conference, a special weekend of classes and discussions for TTM Certified Teachers and TTM Directors. If you miss more than two consecutive D.R.T.M. Conferences, you will have to be re-certified by taking the exam with Mamady Keita.
Annual dues of $100 to be paid to TTM USA each September for the cost of administrative fees and maintaining TTM's official webpage.
Must create and maintain a website for your school branch, including class schedules, locations and teacher bio. Your page is to have a standard format and content, consistent with all other TTM school websites, and it will be linked with TTM USA, but it is your responsibility to maintain up-to-date information. Pending resolution of a legal matter/restriction (US only), include Dubalen Association information/link in the school's website. NOTE: This type of link is currently not permitted for US schools.
- Maintain contact with Mamady Keita throughout the year to inform him of your progress and the success of your branch of TTM USA.
- Maintain contact with Mahiri Edwards-Keita, Monette Marino-Keita and/or Mamady Keita for updates and developments within TTM USA.
- Administrative: Monette Marino-Keita, firstname.lastname@example.org 619.992.7090
- Education/Outreach: Bill Scheidt, email@example.com or Taylor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Continuing Education: Mamady Keita, email@example.com, 619.840-6868
- Send class and activities schedules to Mamady Keita at the beginning of each school year to inform TTM headquarters of your programs.
- By August 31 of each year send an end-of-year report on the status of your school's activities and finances for the past year.