Bassidi Kone and Namory Keita in Santa Cruz 8/12/17!

Bassidi Kone and Namory Keita in Santa Cruz 8/12/17!

Postby Dugafola » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:11 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/188659508334513

OK!!! We are again very fortunate to have these 2 special young djembefolas come through Santa Cruz to share their knowledge and culture!! This will be Bassidi's 2nd trip to Santa Cruz and Namory's first!!

This is especially unique since Bassidi is from Mali and Namory is from Guinea. Mali and Guinea are considered the epicenter of all things djembe and dunun (not to dismiss the other mandingue countries senegal, burkina, ivory coast etc).

Students will get to experience first hand the similarties and differences of percussion music from these 2 countries.

Here are the details!

Saturday August 12, 2017
1pm - 3pm Djembe/dunun Workshop with Namory Keita
3pm - 4pm Break
4pm - 6pm Djembe/dunun Workshop with Bassidi Kone

Sunday August 13, 2017
1pm - 3pm Djembe/dunun Workshop with Bassidi Kone
3pm - 4pm Break
4pm - 6pm Djembe/dunun Workshop with Namory Keita

Tuition
All 4 Classes - $110 (save $30!)
Drop in rate - $35 per class

Audio recording OK!
Video recording - NOT OK!

Please bring your drum throne/stool/chair as on-site seating is limited!

Big thanks to Matt and the Drumskull Drums family for being the west coast hub for african diasporic arts and percussion! also big thanks to Papiba Godinho for letting us use his beautiful studio once again!

Namory's Bio:
Namory Keita was born in 1982 in the village of Sangbarala, Guinea. At age 7 he began drumming, becoming the lead drummer for his village in 2006.

Members of his family are well-known drummers. His brothers, Solo Keita, living in Japan, and Nansady Keita, in England, grew up drumming with Namory under the tutelage of his uncle, Famoudou Konate, one of the most famous West African drummers in the world.

Namory recorded his first CD in 2010 named Kolafolo meaning the ‘Beginning of Everything’. He is a featured artist on recordings by Solo Keita, Billy Konate and Diarra Konate to name a few.

As an international teacher and performing artist, Namory has been invited to many places to share his culture including Germany, Poland, France, Canada, and Portugal. Since coming to America in 2010, he has played with Famoudou Konate, Mamady Keita, Bolokada Conde, Moussa Traore, Mamady Kourouma and the list goes on.

Namory plays for the world renowned West African dance teacher Youssouf Koumbassa, the Kouraba Festival in Canada, Cirque Zuma Zuma, ILAP, and many other noted musicians and venues throughout New England and the US and abroad.

Namory Keita, Master Drummer, is a sought after teacher and performer with a unique style and a wealth of traditional knowledge very rare to find outside the villages of Guinea. His resources include not only his wonderful ability to engage any audience but also his relationships with dancers and drummers locally and around the world.

Bassidi's Bio:
Bassidi Koné is of Bwa ethnicity from the Segou region in Mali. Born into a Griot family, Bassidi grew up beside his father’s instrument, the balafon (a traditional, wooden xylophone), instilling in him his forefathers’ traditional village songs and rhythms. Bassidi carried on his family’s musical heritage, showing promising skill in both the balafon and the djembe.

After moving to Bamako at thirteen, Bassidi met Koninba Bagayogo, a meeting that profoundly influenced his musical career as a percussionist. Playing alongside this master djembe player, the young Bassidi extended his knowledge and skill, distinguishing himself through his innovative solo lead playing and technical virtuosity.

Driven to defend his rich Bwa heritage, Bassidi formed and now leads his multi-instrumental percussion and dance troupe, Bwazan (Bobo children), a family group from the same line of Griots. Bwazan are ambassadors of their musical heritage, promoting a message of peace and solidarity.
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Bassidi Kone and Namory Keita in Santa Cruz 8/12/17!

Postby Carl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:24 pm

+1 on Namory!

I've worked and played with him often over the years. Great human being and an awesome source of knowledge!

C
Carl
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Dugafola » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm

nice carl. yea i've spoken to him a few times but have yet to play with him. can't wait to rage some dununba!
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Carl » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm

I suspect he will LOVE you on dununba... good times!

C
Carl
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Workshops & Lessons