djembe zoom

Discuss drumming technique here
By batadunbata
Thanks DrTom, I love videos showing animals doing things we assume only humans do, much appreciated. Especially music and rhythm, which serves no obvious practical sense on it's own.
Cats playing piano, dogs singing along with guitar, etc.

I also like stories of animal compassion, like the seal that rescued a guy who had jumped off the Golden Gate bridge (it pushed him upward from below, and he freaked out, thinking it was a shark). There's also video of a hippo rescuing a baby impala from a crocodile on youtube, after dragging it to shore, the hippo tries to lift its head up (prevent drowing?) and hangs around singing to it.
By drtom
That's great DF! I research drumming in general (very informally when I have time) and have seen a few videos of birds (other critters as well) drumming in various ways, but I hadn't seen these.

Fascinating to watch them pick out and craft their mallets, even rejecting some if they don't quite do the trick.

Thanks!
By batadunbata
Wow, thanks Djembefeeling, that's amazing footage, I've never seen anything like it and I watch a lot of nature documentaries.

And thanks Boromir76, that's an amazing sound the woodpecker gets from the chimney, it's funny, but glad it's not my chimney!
By boromir76
It is well known fact that parrots are one of the most inteligent birds on the planet, but I was surprised nonetheless to see cockatoos do the drumming with use of the leverage as do the humans: the stick. It is simply fascinating!

With woodpeckers however, I am fascinated with the mechanics. How the hell, do they do this very rapid bursts or "drum rolls" on the surface which is very rigid with a single beak...
I would speculate they use a kind of "finger push and pull stick technique" used with some very good kit drummers. They just use beaks and their head and neck muscles instead of fingers and stick I guess. :-) It can be seen in this demonstration for a few seconds at 2:09 in the video and resembles very much on woodpecker's "drum roll": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Zfdank3rI Quite impressive.