djembe zoom

Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By andrew21
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well, and I continue to enjoy and benefit from the forum on here. Thanks! I've been reheading djembes and dunun for a few years now, but haven't yet done much with rings myself. I don't weld or anything. My favorite lenke djembe popped a calfskin last week when I had it tuned up pretty tight. The tension of the rope after breaking bent the flesh ring pretty good. I haven't had that happen before. How would you recommend getting this thing back into a nice circle? I included a picture of my djembe, since I know you all like pictures (plus I love this creature) and so you can picture where this ring is going.

Thanks!
Attachments
bent ring.jpg
bent ring.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 266 times
lenke drum.jpg
lenke drum.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 266 times
By andrew21
never mind. I got it looking pretty good just by wrestling with it with my hands and feet for 15 minutes. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close. Thanks.
By boromir76
I have no experiences with ring making. The only thing I can recommend when it comes to flash ring for cow and calf skin would be its rod thickness, which should not be under 8 mm for very high pitced djembes. Thinner rings tend to bend.
By michi
You can have a screaming high djembe with 6 mm rings, no problem. It's mainly about applying tension evenly (by having enough loops) than the strength of the steel. Both 6 mm and 8 mm steel bend quite easily; the reason steel is called "strong" is its tensile strength, not its stiffness.

Depending on the skin, it can happen that a skin stretches more across the spine than along the spine, so you end up with a dip in the rings at 90 degrees to the spine once you apply tension. But they tend to spring right back; if not, just use them rotated by 90 degrees next time.

If I have grossly bent rings, I just bend them back as best as I can. Once the skin is mounted, the tension on the verticals quickly straitens out the rings anyway. So, all good, IMO. Just bend them back, and go ahead. The drum will still turn out fine :)

Michi.
By boromir76
michi wrote:You can have a screaming high djembe with 6 mm rings, no problem. It's mainly about applying tension evenly (by having enough loops) than the strength of the steel. Both 6 mm and 8 mm steel bend quite easily; the reason steel is called "strong" is its tensile strength, not its stiffness.
No such luck with my 6mm ring. :-) I had no problems what so ever with it, when reskining goat skins. But the same ring bend like rubber when cranking up thick cow skin... I remember the djembe had not so many knots, so that could as suggested also contribute to bending...
By andrew21
Thanks Michi,
looks like you're right! The djembe came out fine. I bent it back pretty good by hand and then strung it up with a really thick calf skin. No problems. Thanks for the response :)