Post links to uploaded videos or you tube and lets discuss them.
By ChristianAMR
By coincidence I just was investigating some rhythms from Liberia and other countries from the region last week , and I also stumbled upon this video . 8)

For example , the " Madingo dance " ( 2:33 ) remembers me somewhat of Yamama , not exactly from the patterns , but from the overall style and speed .
Interestingly , while searching for rhythms from the neighbouring countries , I found some other similar pieces to Yamama from Sierra Leone and Guina-Bissau .
Maybe that´s not so much of a coincidence , because I just found this link which says :
" Yamama is a rhythm from the Temne people in on the border of Sierra Leon and
Guinea. "
( Not sure though if the info about the ethnic group is correct , because here at this forum some other name has been given ... Or maybe it´s an alternate name for the same ethnic group ... Well , I think , for the moment , that is how far I would go with the investigations , maybe someone else can clear this out ... )

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/dj ... sage/21201 -

Then at min 6:00 , the Duns sound quite similar to Kuku , but I am not sure about the dance ....

When I have some more time , I will post some of the other videos I found .

Ps: Anyway , I found some more info on Yamama

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/dj ... sage/21227
Yamama does come from the border region of Guinea and Sierra Leone, in
a place called Samou. But my sources from Samou told me it is
Mandenyi, not Temne. They are a small ethnic group who have
intermarried so widely with the Susu and Temne that soon they will no
longer be a distinct group.
By neuroanimal
Thank you for quick reply and interesting findings. Waiting for more...

I've read in one book, that from the countries surrounding Guinea, Liberia was one of the most drumming-oriented, with wide variety of dances, and well musicians. But it was in past centuries, probably war damaged some cultural expressions, as it was in Angola (South-West Africa).
By ChristianAMR
You´re welcome !

I wasn´t aware of the wide variety of Liberian dances you are describing .

I remember having read in this forum somewhere that one famous Guinean teacher went either to Liberia and Sierra Leone ( ? ) and brought some rhythm info back to Guinea . But I am not sure if he has made his findings widely available and if he even is teaching them to anyone ...

Anyway , here is another video I found , where the dances are outlined similarly to the 1st video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zcK-GdiXU

These 2 are explained :
_ Bassa dance
_ Kpelle dance

Then there are some other rhythms throughout the vid , without any explanation .
Notably the first one , at the beginning of the vid , seems to be quite similar to the Madingo dance of the first vid , or maybe even the same ...
By neuroanimal
Thank you, second video was also very interesting. It has shown also cultural manifestations of drumming, dancing and acrobatics, during the war, and in context of war knocking their doors.

I want to present you some resources related to Liberia and neighbouring regions of Forested Guinea, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone. Click on map below to get more details on a book from which it cames.

And now look on this old map of ethnic groups from Liberia.
On above map are mentioned Liberian tribes: Mende, Vai, De, Gola, Manianka, Kisi, Gbande, Gbunde, Belle, Loma or Toma, Bassa, Sikon, Kpese or Kpelle, Mano, Ge or Gweï or Gbe, Ngere or Gio, Krã, Gien or Tiẽ, Sapo or Sapā, Padebu or Palepo or Half, Tewi, Grebo, Kru. You can see them also neighbours of Liberian tribes: Kirim, Kono, Temne, Limba, Koranko, Malinke, Dã, Mau, Tene, Tura, Wobe, Banyua, Bakwe, Plawi, Abrawi.

Some of Liberian/Forest tribes used to make scarifications, like it did Loma people:

So were they playing percussion instruments? Let see their variety from tinys to huge ones:

-- Tardegai hand drum (Loma of Liberia), Kpolui sasa rattle/shekere (Loma of Liberia), guitar-like instrument (Kpelle, Mandingo, Kissi, all of Liberia)

-- Liberian hour-glass talking drum

-- Mano clicker with calabash resonator

-- Mano war bell

-- Ge, Sapa, Grebo, Palepo war and cult drums

-- Liberian hollow log drum

-- Gio war drum

-- Sapā long war drum

-- large Gio war drums

-- huge Gio war drum

Larger pictures you can get from http://etnograf.blogspot.com/search/label/Liberia.

So what should we expect from such peoples?
By bubudi
those are nice pictures. it's disappointing to see misguided names like 'clickers', but i suppose that's indicative of that period. those instruments, which are called kondi by the mende and kuchuteng by the limba, are related to the temne kongoma, and are classified as lamelaphones (tongued instruments - the most famous examples being the mbira and kalimba). they make a tune (the more tongues, the more complex the tune that can be played on it), therefore the term 'clickers' is very dismissive of the music.
By neuroanimal
bubudi wrote:it's disappointing to see misguided names like 'clickers', but i suppose that's indicative of that period. (...) the term 'clickers' is very dismissive of the music.
I don't understand your disappointment. Why is it confusing/dismissive for you?
bubudi wrote:those instruments, which are called kondi by the mende and kuchuteng by the limba, are related to the temne kongoma, and are classified as lamelaphones (tongued instruments - the most famous examples being the mbira and kalimba)
I've learned to play on gongoma from Soussou man, I have a kalimba, and "clicker" is for me quite good denomination for describing the type of both of them.

One may conclude, that going further with your way of thinking (about classification), we cannot accept types like:
  • shakers (maracas & rattles, i.e. shekere, djabara, axatse, caxixi),
  • scrapers (i.e. reco-reco, güiro, güícharo, guacharaca),
  • clappers (claves, spoons, castanets),
as they denominate how the sound is initially produced.

There are various classifications of musical instruments, and there are no one only-acceptable.
By bubudi
i didn't say that only one way is right for classifying musical instruments, although there certainly is one system that musicologists agree on (the one that has the category 'lamelophones'). quite a lot of western people who visited africa saw the music as being primitive, coarse, lacking any complexity -especially before african music started becoming known and respected in its own right. they used terminology that was dismissive of african music, and 'clickers' certainly sounds like one of those dismissive terms in this case, as applied to a kondi/sanza/kuchuteng. you could call a castanet a clicker and i wouldn't think twice about it. but that's musically pretty much all castanets do! a kondi/sanza/kuchuteng, on the other hand, has many tongues tuned to african scales. melodius pieces are played on it. it's almost inconsequential that behind the melodic notes there also happens to be a plucking sound. to call it a 'clicker' therefore is the equivalent of calling a classical western flute or oboe a 'huffer', or a violin a 'scraper', or a piano a 'donger'!