For chatting and discussions.
By EvanP
Leaving for Ghana Dec. 26. Ekome Tours, plus maybe a side trip to Mole NP. To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement!
By Michel
Oh yes, certainly. I've been with Sidiki Camara's camp twice, it's too easy to go again. But it was fun to do. I've been offered to study with an uncle of my teacher in Senegal, the uncle that had taught him a lot. He is one of the last Malians in Senegal who still drums in his own tradition, he is over 60 and I'm thinking about joining this guy. The difference of 10 degrees in temperature between Mali and Senegal and the presence of the sea are elements why I'm thinking of going there for once. And the idea of course of studying with a guy I described. Looking forward!
By Michel
yes i was there. Sidiki is da bomb. His website sidikicamara.com gives you all the details.
When I find the time I will write some report about my experiences, it was a great trip. I spend 3 weeks in the workshop and learned a lot of new stuff, all in the real malian tradition.
By James
Sidiki is da bomb.
Preaching to the converted. I love Sidiki, both his playing and what I can gleam of him as a person. I was very close to going on his tour.

It's really reasonably priced, I think.

Me and Paddy were only around the corner in Abdul Doumbia's house at the same time.

Would have been great to meet you.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again :)
By dleufer
Flying to Bamako October 30th and returning March 3rd. Probably heading immediately to Baro, then Conakry and Faranah. Maybe Bobo for the last month. No fixed plan though so going to be winging it.
By dleufer
Yeah I'm gonna give Mali a miss. I spent 6 weeks in Bamako last time and didn't vibe with it as much as Bobo or Guinea. I think I'm just very much into the Guinean style at the moment so the Malian style doesn't have enough appeal for me. But I'll try to spend a week or so there at the beginning and end to check out some music.
By Michel
Just joking.... The Mali/Guinea style discussion won't be solved in this thread. Never actually... Have fun. I'm just jealous about the long time you will spend there... Wow! Me and my three weeks.... seems like nothing!
By archetypo
I'll be in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso this December, attending a workshop with Amadou Kienou & Amara Kante. Haven't done workshops in west Africa with either of them before, but have studied with both for a few years now. Both have very different teaching styles, but they vibe really well together, and are hilariously entertaining to boot. I've never been to Burkina either, but I've seen a lot of pictures of Amadou's compound there and it looks like a pretty cool setup. It also sounds like they don't have nearly the infrastructure problems they have in Guinea - electricity is practically 24/7 for one (yay, I can plug in a fan for sleeping!)

The workshop is only 2 weeks though, so I'll probably head back to Guinea with my husband (who still lives there, but will be meeting me in Burkina), Maybe we'll hook up with Billy Konate's workshop in Kouroussa if the timing works out or maybe we'll spend some time in Mali. Or who knows, maybe I'll love Burkina so much I'll want to stay there for the rest of the month! I'm definitely intrigued - I've spent a lot of time in Guinea since 2000, and although I love the people, music & culture, I kind of hate Conakry. Well, kind of a love/hate thing really :)