Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By Worcester Djembe
Hello Everyone,

Friend gave me this djembe shell and was wondering if anyone could guess what the wood type is. I was told its a Mali djembe and he paid $300 for it (looking at the shell he overpaid, luckily it was free to me).. It's def. lighter than my lenke shell and harder than my twoneaba djembe. For example, the loops on the bottom ring did imprint in the base of the shell. Is it Iroko?? Just don't hear of Iroko shells from Mali.

I attached two photos, one of the outside and one of the inside.
mail-1.jpeg
mail-1.jpeg (41.1 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Thanks Everyone,
Dan
Attachments
mail.jpeg
mail.jpeg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
By michi
It's really difficult to say what exact wood this is. By the looks of things, the exterior had some varnish on it, which has changed the color. Looking at the inside, I don't think it's Iroko because the wood is too pale for that. I don't think it's Bete either, for the same reason.

Possibly Melina (Bois Blanc), or it could be something else entirely…

Cheers,

Michi.
By the kid
I'm gonna bet that's Tweneboa wood.

I'm really guessing due to the carve. In Ghana they use a large carving tool to hollow out the inside of the drum and I can make out those large cut marks from the photo. It's also pretty rough and without an inner ledge, signs of a typical Ghanian djembe.
By Worcester Djembe
Thanks for the input fellas,

I don't think it's twoneaba though, I have another djembe that's twoneaba and this drum is heavier and the wood is harder. However, I could see how Twoneaba could be guessed based on the characteristics you described. Putting the two djembes next to each other makes it easier to tell the two wood types are different.

At the end of the day, the drum still sounds great (at least compared to my Ghana twoneaba one). I just got my hands on a guinea lenke shell from Shorty and am excited to work the bearing edge/rope/skin it and see how it compares to the other two.

Dan
By michi
Hmmm...

Now the second image is the correct one. Maybe due to my browser cache?

Michi.
By Worcester Djembe
To followup, I may have to retract my previous comment about not thinking it was twoneaba..I just weighed my three drums and found that the shell pictured above actually weighs about a pound/pound and a half more than my twoneaba one, though the above pictured drum's walls are thinner and it didn't have a skin or second ring on it...given the weight similarity it could be Ghana twoneaba afterall. (13 lbs vs 14 lbs, give or take)

Lenke shell came in just under 20 lbs.
By michi
Dub Town wrote:To followup, I may have to retract my previous comment about not thinking it was twoneaba.
I've never seen such a stark contrast between sapwood and heartwood on a Tweneboa shell. All the ones I've seen from the inside (admittedly, only maybe half a dozen or so), where pretty much uniform in color. The carving style does point at a Ghana origin though, I agree.

Cheers,

Michi.