Need Help? We help each other here...
By Jan >^..^<
#19970
So, I'm trying to do a lot of reading here and I come across this thread: free-lessons-this-site/heres-one-you-wi ... 00-15.html

So, you guys start talking about whether he is right or left-handed. Daggone it! I didn't think my left-handedness was going to matter with the drum! Now, if I take lessons, I have to concentrate on doing everything opposite from the teacher?!?!?

I'm getting a headache just thinking about it ...... :(
By davidognomo
#19972
think the positive side of it.

I get some dificulties with it.

When you're in a class, most of the times you are in front of the teacher and some times it gets confusing to catch the handing because, as he is in front of you, its reversed.

As you are lefthanded, all you have to do is to do it in a mirror logic, wich is probably easier.

Jan, all due respect, stop reading, start playing.

cheers, have fun
User avatar
By Waraba
#19975
davidognomo wrote:
As you are lefthanded, all you have to do is to do it in a mirror logic, wich is probably easier.
WARNING: this doesn't end well.

I am a left hander. I chose to play righty when I started because I thought it would be easier in a right-handed world. Also, I thought I would have an advantage over drummers who played according to their dominant hand because MY weak hand (the right) would get over-worked and thus my hands would balance out. Oh no. It did not work out that way. My left hand, under-used as it is, is STILL my strong hand, and my phrases frequently sound out-of-whack as a result. I think a lot of the accompaniment rhythms, especially "internationale" ("ba da bee dee ba") sounds a heck of a lot worse (or less good), when leading with the right, if the left hand is the stronger. So if I were to do it over again, I would do as my mother advised, to embrace my left-handedness and just reverse it all.

Love your left-handedness, don't fight it, go with the flow.
User avatar
By Waraba
#19976
by the way, when does one move up to a second ksing? I feel like I've been here for a while.
User avatar
By Michel
#19980
Davidognomo wrote:
Jan, all due respect, stop reading, start playing.
You are so right!

Go for it Jan! The biggest problem with us is that we try to analyze everything. Start playing as much as you can, and try not to think and count. Feel it.

Good luck and have fun.
By davidognomo
#19986
Waraba wrote: So if I were to do it over again, I would do as my mother advised, to embrace my left-handedness and just reverse it all.

hey, Waraba, I think I didn't explain myself very well.

What I was saying was for Jan to play reversed, using his left hand where right-handed guys use their right.

The mirror logic I talked about was referring to a mirror effect when you are playing left-handedly in front of a right-handed teacher. This way, the handing will match like with a mirror. That what I was saying that would be easier, I'm guessing.
User avatar
By Djembe-nerd
#19988
by the way, when does one move up to a second ksing? I feel like I've been here for a while.
Thats Hilarious !! :lol: I was doing the same thing a while ago, now I am very proud to be a djembefola here, someday somewhere else too :flex:

On the topic, I had the same questions and tried to analize it the same way as above etc etc. Now it comes by itself, it takes some time to get the feel and a lot of practice and playing, then the body rewards you with the controls you need to do what you want.
By bubudi
#19992
i agree with nerd. you can train yourself both ways and it's handy for soloing to be able to start on either hand on the fly, though getting the neural pathways happening to spontaneously start with the left hand takes some practice, and there's definitely a physical side of it that you'll need to develop as well. however, as an accompanist there's probably no real advantage to this, and it's better to favour your dominant hand as it will always have a physical edge. so, unless you're planning to be playing lots of lead, don't worry about it!
User avatar
By Waraba
#19998
davidognomo wrote:
Waraba wrote: So if I were to do it over again, I would do as my mother advised, to embrace my left-handedness and just reverse it all.

hey, Waraba, I think I didn't explain myself very well.

What I was saying was for Jan to play reversed, using his left hand where right-handed guys use their right.

The mirror logic I talked about was referring to a mirror effect when you are playing left-handedly in front of a right-handed teacher. This way, the handing will match like with a mirror. That what I was saying that would be easier, I'm guessing.
No, I got you. I'm saying if you're lefty, don't try to play righty. Play lefty so you sound like everyone else. :dundun:
By Jan >^..^<
#20000
Michel wrote:Davidognomo wrote:
Jan, all due respect, stop reading, start playing.
You are so right!

Go for it Jan! The biggest problem with us is that we try to analyze everything. Start playing as much as you can, and try not to think and count. Feel it.

Good luck and have fun.
Daivd and Michel, You're both right! I analyze things to death! I get a new instrument and then freak myself out trying to get the best book or the right DVD or schedule time to practice or figuring out where to start, or whatever. That takes all the fun out of it and I often don't get started because I'm afriad I won't do it right.

So, I'm gonna use my Gentle Djembe DVDs, and my Keita book and DVD and just have fun! I'm gonna play without the DVDs! I'm gonna make up my own stuff! The main thing I'm gonna do is just enjoy myself like I did on the sidewalk playing. Later on, I'll get down to lessons and reading.

THANKS! :D
By Jan >^..^<
#20001
bubudi wrote:i agree with nerd. you can train yourself both ways and it's handy for soloing to be able to start on either hand on the fly, though getting the neural pathways happening to spontaneously start with the left hand takes some practice, and there's definitely a physical side of it that you'll need to develop as well. however, as an accompanist there's probably no real advantage to this, and it's better to favour your dominant hand as it will always have a physical edge. so, unless you're planning to be playing lots of lead, don't worry about it!
Well, as a matter of fact, bubudi, I am planning on playing lots of leads! I'm thinking of naming my group Djan's Djammin' Djembes! :rofl:

OK, seriously, you're right. I'm worrying about too much! I'm just going to play. It may never be an issue for me. If it is, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! :djembe:
By Jan >^..^<
#20014
Michel wrote:So no postings for a week now, and tell us what you experienced when you play.
Good luck!
:giggle: Me?! Not post for a week? I'm going on Tuesday to decide about which djembe! Won't the suspense of not knowing which one I got drive you insane?! :lol: