Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By michi
I just came across this on eBay, advertised as a "No-Slip Djembe Drum Floor Rest Accessory":
mat.jpg
No-Slip Djembe Drum Floor Rest Accessory
mat.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
At least it's cheap: US $3.95. But it still seems ridiculous: for one, a piece of rubber stuck to the foot of the drum is far more convenient. Second, I can just take any piece of rubber or foam and put it on the floor if I want—no need for a special accessory.

One thing I always found refreshing is that the accessory market for djembes is just about non-existent. There aren't all that many things I can buy for a djembe. A bag, a strap, seke seke, a puller, and maybe a handle, and we've exhausted pretty much the available options.

Any other accessories (useless or not) people can think of?

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Djembe-nerd
Its also sold at Djembedirect for $4.95. I almost bought it when I started playing djembe.

As a starter you don;t know what would be helpful or not and you have to experiment on various things. Should be a guide somewhere telling what are the essentials and what not to buy :-)
By Dugafola
djembe hat - extra protection for travel.

i keep fine grit sandpaper in my bag to take off tape residue, excess oil, dirt etc.

i usually have super glue to seal splits in a pinch. i'll only use that stuff for conferences, performances etc where i'm playing constantly.

none of that stuff is necessity though.
By michi
A hat is a good idea, yes. I like them both for the extra protection during travel, and to put on my drum during breaks at workshops, to guard against coffee spills and such.

Here is a shot of tools that permanently live in my djembe bag:
IMG_4525.JPG
Useful tools
IMG_4525.JPG (102.21 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
The rope puller and pliers are for tuning. The drum key is needed for my drum throne, which has a stupid design with a stop that requires a key. If I ever buy another stool, it'll be a design that doesn't require tools.

The thing on the left is the end of a deer antler. That's a phenomenally useful tool. It works as a wedge, to lift off the vertical from the side of the shell when weaving, to reduce wear on the rope. It also is awesome for poking open knots, or to lever tensioned rope away from the drum when stowing the end of the rope. It's soft enough not to dent or scratch the wood, yet strong enough to get serious leverage. If you can, find yourself one of these—mine is one of the most often used tools in my workshop.

Another thing I found useful is a clip-on handle:
IMG_4527.JPG
Djembe handle
IMG_4527.JPG (131.44 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
I used to put these in "unnecessary" category, especially the ones with plastic hardware. But, since coming across models with decent metal hardware, I've changed my mind. They are easy to clip on and remove, and I can move a handle between drums in seconds. Less work than making my own that's permanently attached to the verticals, and they are available in all sorts of nifty colors.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
HA! you know that drum key is for your big ass REMO! 18" dugga boom!

i like the clip on metal rope handles too...got em on all my pieces. also good for lacing your strap for stand up play.
By michi
Not useless, but silly, in my opinion:
djembe_harness_rasta__98854_zoom.jpg
Djembe harness
djembe_harness_rasta__98854_zoom.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
toca_djembe_strap.jpg
Djembe harness
toca_djembe_strap.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
These things just look silly.

A simple strap (14' of seatbelt webbing or similar) works just as well and packs away much smaller. I have one with a buckle, which makes it easy to add and remove:
IMG_4528.JPG
Djembe strap
IMG_4528.JPG (113.84 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:HA! you know that drum key is for your big ass REMO! 18" dugga boom!
Man, that one really went below the belt!

I think we need a new thread: "What's the worst possible insult you can throw at a djembefola?" ;)

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
I used to have this in the "useless" category:
IMG_4529.JPG
Djembe waist belt
IMG_4529.JPG (101.56 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
Since I started teaching, I've changed my mind. I like to teach with ankle bells and, when I tap my foot, my djembe has a tendency to get away from me, especially if it is wrapped, so the sides end up quite slippery. The waist strap allows me to tap away all I like while playing, without the drum slipping out from between my knees.

When I'm not teaching, I never use the thing. I can see it being useful to people who are obese or have a disability though.

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:i'm all about the seatbelt.

it helps relax your entire lower body.
OK, I'll buy that. Generally, I find that there is no need for a waist strap, especially if a drum doesn't have wrap on it so the verticals are exposed. In that case, there is a lot of friction on the side of the bowl, and minimal pressure from the knees is enough to keep it stable. With a wrapped drum, things can get quite slippery, so something to hold the drum in place can be useful.

But, even then, I don't bother with the waist strap. Instead, I sit on the end of my normal shoulder strap. Maybe not quite as convenient as a waist strap, but it also means there is one less thing I have to cart around…

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
michi wrote: But, even then, I don't bother with the waist strap. Instead, I sit on the end of my normal shoulder strap. Maybe not quite as convenient as a waist strap, but it also means there is one less thing I have to cart around…

Cheers,

Michi.
my stand up strap is too cumbersome to leave on all the time. i do however leave my seat belt clipped on all the time.
By Djembe-nerd
I like seat belt, they free your legs, and you can sit more relaxed, and also use the timer bell. I have made my own shoulder strap and clip on handle. I will post a pic later.

So now this thread is turning into "useful Accessories" thread :-)
By michi
Ugly. And useless, unless you have a disability or are in a performance situation where you have to move quickly among different instruments:
gibraltar_djembe_stand__65362_zoom.jpg
Djembe stand
gibraltar_djembe_stand__65362_zoom.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
This one is aesthetically preferable, IMO, even though it's not adjustable:
djembe_stand_wooden__64243_zoom.jpg
Wooden djembe stand
djembe_stand_wooden__64243_zoom.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
Cheers,

Michi.