For chatting and discussions.
By michi
This is from an interview that is part of "Mögöbalu". I haven't heard any more about this from anyone. I can think of a number of ways to make something like this happen. Basically, a (mild) explosive that is inert when wet would work. There are a number of candidates, such as silver acetylide (do not try this at home!) Mix some very fine metal filings and sulfur with it for nice sparks...

I'd hate to be the person who experiments with the various concoctions though. Apart from wrecking a number of djembes, one might wreck a number of djembefolas. Not for the faint of heart…

Below is the excerpt from the interview where Mamady mentions this. My apologies for the horribly out-of-sync sound. The video I uploaded is in fine shape; as often happens, YouTube managed to yet again make a total mess of the synchronization :(

Cheers,

Michi.

By Waraba
Abdoul Doumbia told me once that people do this (the sparks, not the burrito).
By michi
e2c wrote:So... why/how is this done? (Other than to impress people.)
Why else do this other than to impress people? :-)
How can it be done without ruining the djembe shell?
I strongly suspect that it can't be done without that... :)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Waraba
michi wrote:
How can it be done without ruining the djembe shell?
I strongly suspect that it can't be done without that... :)
In an episode from the original televised Batman series from the 60's, our hero is fed poison by a villain. The poison fails. When the villain expresses outraged disbelief, Batman informs him: "Fortunately, I took the precaution of coating my stomach with buttermilk."

As regards the djembe shell and shooting flame, let the next step remain inferred....
By bubudi
yes i don't see any reason other than to make an impression. in a society where people believe in the supernatural, fire coming out of the djembe could speak volumes about a player's abilities. people could use this false impression to try and give them an edge as far as being chosen to play for more ceremonies in their region.

very entertaining, but dangerous! don't even try this if you put linseed oil in your shell! somehow i don't think anyone will be doing this to their drumskull premier :lol: