djembe zoom

Discuss djembe masters and prodigies here
By Daniel Preissler
hello Kid,
I don't know why they call it Damba. It's Koudabadon/Anta luma/Lumatadundun and none of the best versions. Mixture of ballet and Conakry class style, nothing to be worked by people interested in traditional maninka music.
sorry!
Daniel

most videos with Kungbana show him as someone who doesn't really want to play but knows that he has to do it for his guests or for advert reasons.
sorry again
n'fa inibara
By guedom
Afoba wrote:hello Kid,
most videos with Kungbana show him as someone who doesn't really want to play but knows that he has to do it for his guests or for advert reasons.
don't think so.. I know some people who learnt in his home, and never said me this kind of questions, but they told me how many people dosen't respect him, the "rec time" and other bad things

do you think he need advert? is well know who is him.
By Dugafola
the damba shown in the video varies greatly from the damba he recorded on Percussions Sanakaran. it's possible that whoever recorded and posted the video got the name wrong.
By Daniel Preissler
hi guedom,
I don't know about his classes in Conakry, I was only talking about the videos. And me too, I have met some guys who really love him and who are good players.

I think most of you know the rythm "koudabadon" from the Sangbarala or Baro section. Compare it, it's the same!

Gretings, Daniel
By the kid
What ever Danielson... :lol:

Koungbana is a living legend. He has been drumming since the 50/60's. He was in ballet Djoliba for 20 years and was a founding member and artistic director of 'les percussions de guinea'.

Don't judge a man on a 3 minutes youtube clip.. :lol:
By e2c
I'd agree that the videos don't show him at his very best. (No slam meant as far as Kougbana himself; everyone has their off moments and I did get the "reluctant/because I have to vibe" from the 1st two clips.)
By the kid
e2c wrote:I understand; at the same time, playing because you feel obligated to play isn't tied to age.
That was Danny's opinion, not fact. Is it your opinion too?
By Daniel Preissler
no, it was e2c's saying "yes, but" concerning Josh's posting.

at least in my opinon d:-)
By e2c
e2c wrote:I'd agree that the videos don't show him at his very best. (No slam meant as far as Kougbana himself; everyone has their off moments and I did get the "reluctant/because I have to vibe" from the 1st two clips.)
Yes, it is my opinion, too. ;)
By Dugafola
IMO, he's been like that ever since i first saw him perform....live, video or otherwise.