CDs, books and DVDs

How do you rate Farafina Sangbarala by Nansady Keita? (login to rate)

♥ sucks
No votes
0%
♥♥ listenable
No votes
0%
♥♥♥ pretty good
14%
♥♥♥♥ really dig it
14%
♥♥♥♥♥ off the hook
71%
By bubudi
hot hot hot! this cd was recorded in guinea in february 2010 and will be released in may. you can preorder your copy now by emailing nansady. the cd costs €12 + postage.

tracklist to come...
By Dugafola
i think i've played track 4 before. actually a lot.

hopefully it's sounds better than his prior efforts. i find it hard to listen to them with the distortion.
By bubudi
anyone got this? nansady is famoudou konate's nephew and spent most of his life in sangbaralla village. in more recent years he spent more time in conakry helping famoudou with courses and playing at festivals. he's based in england now but continues to visit guinea every year.
By Dugafola
i voted for pretty good.

the feel of this disc is way different than his other CDs. it kinda sounds like some of the CDs i've heard from the sousou 'folas out of Conakry. don't get me wrong, the content is pure malinke, but the presentation of the song, music, bala etc remind of some other CDs.

also, the lead djembe is too low in the mix for my taste and the vox are distorted at times. it sounds like the vox were recorded with 1. a way better mic and/or 2. in another room isolated from the drummers. the vox just sound a bit harsh compared to the rest of the instruments.

liner notes give a fairly good description on each track offering rough translations of the songs meaning in english.

one interesting tidbit i didn't know, NK's first Master was Djume Camara. not sure if he's alive anymore, but there are some field recordings out there of him playing with FK etc.

content is good. i love NKs playing. i've met him in guinea and seen him play a bunch but have yet to work with him.
By dleufer
I love this album, it's been constantly on my CD player since I bought it. The Kassaladon is amazing with bala and the girl's voice is mind-blowing. He's got some really nice breaks on there too, very melodic. I love the use of bala too.
Probably my favourite djembe CD I've bought so far.