Post links to uploaded videos or you tube and lets discuss them.
By bubudi
didadi is a rhythm from bougouni, yanfolila and wassolon. in bougouni they call it bari and in kolokani they call it jagewara (meaning music that has the power to animate the masks). no doubt it's the unique swing of didadi that gives this power. there are differences in the way the rhythm is played in the various areas but traditionally they all tend to feature the didadidunun, which is also known as the baridunun. this is like a dununba which is cut very short so that it is much lighter and easy to play both sides. the didadidununfola dances while wearing his instrument with a strap, playing both sides of the drum with a stick in one hand, and the bare hand playing the opposite side. djembes are traditionally part of the ensemble in wassolon, but in bougouni they traditionally played the sabanan (bamana goblet drum), although djembe has now become common there in this genre.

didadi is part of the annual harvest and sowing, but is also played at weddings, funerals of female elders, youth festivals, ramadan, tabaski, and welcoming official delegations. there are big didadi festivals called didadi tulonke (didadi games) where young people compete for the titles of best dancers, etc. didadi is danced by boys and girls in the village. the dancers traditionally wear masks and sheepskins.

By bubudi
didadi music and dance at the koumantou festival, performed by singer tene diakite and her group, 2008.

By bubudi
karim tounkara (djembe) playing didadi, bamako, 2008.

By bubudi
sega sidibe playing didadi at the africolor festival, 2007.

By bubudi
some didadi music and dance at the kola festival, 2007.

By bubudi
sega sidibe playing didadi in studio conflans, paris, 2006.

By bops
Nice compilation, bubudi... thanks for posting these. I love the "Didadee" recordings done by Michael P. I gotta get that CD. Anyone know where I can purchase as a download?

Didadi has some extra beautiful songs. Mare Sanogo's Fourasi has a nice version, as does Soungalo's Naya.
By Dugafola
bubudi wrote:didadi is a rhythm from bougouni, yanfolila and wassolon. in bougouni they call it bari and in kolokani they call it jagewara (meaning music that has the power to animate the masks). no doubt it's the unique swing of didadi that gives this power. there are differences in the way the rhythm is played in the various areas but traditionally they all tend to feature the didadidunun, which is also known as the baridunun. this is like a dununba which is cut very short so that it is much lighter and easy to play both sides. the didadidununfola dances while wearing his instrument with a strap, playing both sides of the drum with a stick in one hand, and the bare hand playing the opposite side. djembes are traditionally part of the ensemble in wassolon, but in bougouni they traditionally played the sabanan (bamana goblet drum), although djembe has now become common there in this genre.

didadi is part of the annual harvest and sowing, but is also played at weddings, funerals of female elders, youth festivals, ramadan, tabaski, and welcoming official delegations. there are big didadi festivals called didadi tulonke (didadi games) where young people compete for the titles of best dancers, etc. didadi is danced by boys and girls in the village. the dancers traditionally wear masks and sheepskins.
what is your source for all this?
By Dugafola
bubudi wrote:i don't think that disc is available as a download yet. i love the didadi on fourasi and naya. here's all the recordings i know with this rhythm:
soungalo coulibaly - naya
mare sanogo - fourasi
abdoul doumbia (self-titled)
abdoul doumbia - denbaya
sega sidibe - wasulun fenkerow
issa coulibaly - foliba
moussa traore - dakan

the rhythm is in abdoul doumbia's book/cd set, anke dje, anke be
you can also add:

you can also add:
Yelemba d'Abidjan - hommage
Donkili - Call to Dance
jaraba jakite trio
abdoulaye Diakite - Mandeng Foli
pluznick's CD
By bops
mare sanogo - fourasi
abdoul doumbia - denbaya
issa coulibaly - foliba
moussa traore - dakan

--------------------------------
you can also add:
Donkili - Call to Dance
jaraba jakite trio
pluznick's CD
Also, Sinaly Papus Diabate's Kara bara

Bubudi, I don't remember it being on either of Abdoul's CDs (other than the instructional book). Which track(s) is Didadi?
By Dugafola
bops wrote:
mare sanogo - fourasi
abdoul doumbia - denbaya
issa coulibaly - foliba
moussa traore - dakan

--------------------------------
you can also add:
Donkili - Call to Dance
jaraba jakite trio
pluznick's CD
Also, Sinaly Papus Diabate's Kara bara

Bubudi, I don't remember it being on either of Abdoul's CDs (other than the instructional book). Which track(s) is Didadi?

he thinks the Bari track on Denbaya is Didadi. i don't think it's on Abdoul's self titled either...unless i'm missing a track on my ipod.

catch the dibon jam in the Yelemba Didadi. the vox on that track are great.