Discuss traditional rhythms, singing etc
By buttafingers
Do you? Is this considered some kind of sacrilege to the ultra-traditionalists? I've never seen any video of any being played in a pack in their native habitat. Or is it gaggle?

I recently started doing this and I'm LOVING it! It adds so much more texture when playing by ones' self. I'm aware this might make me lazy in developing the subtleties that are possible, since you can switch over to the other drum and get a vastly different sound from it. There is also another element involved, in that you have to keep track of handing patterns much more.

Right now I'm having good luck with a 10", a little 8" Toca that I bought for my daughter, and a tiny little 4" that I made from a decorative tourist drum. Don't laugh- I put some belly hide on it that was left over and laced it with some quality 3mm cord and it turned out far better than I had hoped for! The three together make a nice chord with no tuning on my part.

The only problem I'm having is how to wrangle all those drums. Currently they are just laced together through the verts with no particular rhyme or reason, just what works OK. OK can be a bit of a stretch, since they want to walk around some as you play. I think I'll build a stand to hold them at some point, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience or wisdom on this.
By e2c
I've seen and heard some drummers do it either while performing with a troupe, or just for fun - there are some vids on YouTube, but it takes a while to find them. it seems that most folks treat the 2nd drum as if it were a bass djembe.

I've sometimes played two at once (fairly large, W. African drums) and like the sound, but trying to hold them in place isn't so easy. (I'm only 5' 4" and don't have much "reach," unlike some of the men who play 2.)
By Carl
Back when I was fortunate enough to see Mamady play for dance classes, he used a second djembe (with calf skin) for the class.

Mahiri has talked about a crazy 5 djembe setup that he uses for his "rock" gigs.

I've played 2 drums, and it's not too bad if you can get your legs around them. More than that and I'd want stands.

I've seen a ballet video of a guy playing a djembe with 3 or 4 smaller djembes strapped to the main djembe. Not sure of the context.

C
By e2c
Mahiri has talked about a crazy 5 djembe setup that he uses for his "rock" gigs.
Yeah, those Farafina Kan guys like to mix it up!

I wonder what he uses for stands at those gigs?
I've played 2 drums, and it's not too bad if you can get your legs around them.
Big "if" there, though I could probably manage it more easily with one of my regular drums and new (to me) bass djembe, as the latter is a bit on the small side. Not sure how long I'd be able to sit like that, though!
By bops
I play with a group that does afro-beat and latin jazz stuff, and I use a double-jembe setup for that. It's fairly common in that type of setting. I've seen it done quite a bit in Africa and here in the states.
Carl wrote: I've seen a ballet video of a guy playing a djembe with 3 or 4 smaller djembes strapped to the main djembe. Not sure of the context.
I think you mean Koumbagna Conde from Les Percussions de Guinea. He used to do that using small toy jembes like butterfingers was talking about. I thought he invented it until I was told that it was an adaptation of a traditional style of playing in Ivory Coast. I don't recall the name of it... maybe someone else can help me out...?
By bubudi
bops wrote:I think you mean Koumbagna Conde from Les Percussions de Guinea. He used to do that using small toy jembes like butterfingers was talking about. I thought he invented it until I was told that it was an adaptation of a traditional style of playing in Ivory Coast. I don't recall the name of it... maybe someone else can help me out...?
that's a forest region drum style, not just ivory coast but also guinea (konianke, manian, guerze), liberia and sierra leone. in konianke it's called planibala. there are other names that i've heard the ivorians use. it's basically a 11" djembe with 4 smaller variously tuned djembes tied around it.
By Paul
Funny you mention as it came up in conversation the other day.. The man in question reckons Arafan Toure was a big man for this style so maybe check him.. Saw it a few times in burkina with more melodic music an Sekouba bambino had a guy doing this last time I saw him.
By Garvin
Man, I searched youtube last night thinking it'd be easy to find a clip like this, but there weren't many. Looks like Bops got one though.

There is a really great example of this on Bangourake's second DVD. I got it from Drumskulls. He's playing at a party with ballet style dundun and one other djembe. He rocks the s*** out of two djembes. I highly reccommend checking out that DVD.
By michi
You can find an example of the mini-djembes being played on the DVD " Music from Guinea".
Music From Guinea.jpg
Music from Guinea DVD
Music From Guinea.jpg (49.89 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Cheers,

Michi.