Discuss djembe masters and prodigies here
By jadelemonaid
For those looking for Djembefolas from Mali, Drissa Kone is definitely one to check out and study with. He was my first real teacher and took my playing to a new level in just a couple of weeks. When I get more money, i definitely plan to study with him again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH_fdU68UwY
By michi
I second that. I took a few lessons with him two years ago in Bamako. He's excellent.

Cheers,

Michi.
By komadich
I agree, too. He is a good teacher and shows you the essence of a rhythm.
By michi
Yes he does, but only a little. Enough to get by for lessons. Don't expect to have philosophical conversations or anything along these lines though :-)

Cheers,

Michi.
By djembefeeling
Hi Gerhard,

sounds good. could you provide a tracklist for the cd? if possible not just by the title of the songs, but also of the rhythms?

cheers, jürgen
By michalkow
I love his style of playing (especially low tones) and try to get a similar sound.

Does Drissa use a thicker or rather thinner skins? Or even low tuned cowskin? Can't recognize that..
By davidognomo
I don't believe it's cow or calf skin. I think he plays goat on most of the videos I see of him. But I notice he doesn't use his djembe with a too high pitch. He also uses a signature slap, not quite what I would call a tonpalo, but maybe that's what they call "lee", a signature slap, or a third slap, supposedly originated from the Wossolon region, as some people referred to it here on the forum.
By Dugafola
davidognomo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 am
I don't believe it's cow or calf skin. I think he plays goat on most of the videos I see of him. But I notice he doesn't use his djembe with a too high pitch. He also uses a signature slap, not quite what I would call a tonpalo, but maybe that's what they call "lee", a signature slap, or a third slap, supposedly originated from the Wossolon region, as some people referred to it here on the forum.
I worked with drissa over the winter and he plays goat. his personal jenbes are lenke.

he has a distinct hand technique where his index fingers are raised and hit the skin last.

lastly, I don't think a thing called "lee" exists...rather just a nice story from MK.
By fiene_bee
Where does Drissa Kone teach these days? I know he used to teach in the Djembe hotel in Bamako, but I can not find any info on the hotel any more...
By Dugafola
fiene_bee wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:36 pm
Where does Drissa Kone teach these days? I know he used to teach in the Djembe hotel in Bamako, but I can not find any info on the hotel any more...
He’ll teach wherever he need to. He lives in Badialan neighborhood of Bamako. I have his number if you need it.