Meeting place for buying and selling instruments
By AoxoA
HEllo-

I have a drumskull drum about 3 years old, skin maybe 1 year old. Head= 13.25 to 13.5" Height = 24.5". Still solid, no cracks, etc...

Here is what the price breakdown currently is for a new drumskull drum: $645 (shell w/skin, etc...) + $95 (Rubber Bottom) + $95 (Rope Wrap) = $835

There is a guy in my city that may want to buy. What is a fair price to sell it for?
3rd drum-1.jpg
3rd drum-1.jpg (72.75 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
By rachelnguyen
That is a nice looking drum!

The price has a lot to do with how much you want to sell it... and what the guy is willing to pay.

For me, I would not be willing to pay a premium for the rubber ring.... or even the rope wrapping, which looks great, but means that the drum isn't tuneable, right? Plus there is a one year old head, which means it is going to be needing a new one soon.

I more or less feel that the shell itself doesn't really depreciate. As Michi says, it is the roping, the rings, and the head that wear out.

I would probably start at $545 or so. That is the base price, minus all the bells and whistles, and minus the cost of a new skin.

Of course your location might have something to do with this, too.
By AoxoA
Thanks for the input.

The rope wrap comes off, so you can tune the drum. You just have to wrap it up again (which does take some time). I'm not a habitual tuner, so it never bothered me. I will probably keep the wrap.
By michi
Normally, you will get three to four skins out of the rope before it has to be replaced. Seeing that the current skin is quite old, you'd have to consider its residual value as zero. For arguments sake, let's say that it costs $100 to re-skin the drum, so it's automatically worth $100 less than new.

Now take the cost of a full rebuild, which will be due after at most four skins. Let's assume that the cost of a full rebuild is $200. So, one of the three to four "lives" of the rope is gone, reducing value by another $50-$70.

Now take off some amount because the drum is second hand, and you arrive at a reasonable price.

You will not get your money back on the rubber foot. $95 for a rubber foot is expensive. (Admittedly, Drumskull do a superb job at fitting them.) But you have to remember that it costs less than $20 to fit your own foot and, if you are careful, you can get a result nearly as good as the Drumskull one. So, there is another $50-60 reduction in value.

The rope wrap is beautiful, but most people don't care for it because you have remove it every time you want to tune the drum, so its residual value will be low as well. Call it $20-$30.

Now do the calculation:

New price: $835
Less one re-skin: $100
Less wear on rope: $60
Less depreciation on rubber foot: $70
Less depreciation on rope: $30

That brings the price to $575. How much to remove because the drum is second hand is subjective. Seeing that it's a quality lenke shell (I'm assuming heartwood) that will last just about forever, I wouldn't reduce the price too much for that. Say another $30-40.

So, at around $540, I'd say you'd be selling at a realistic price. Not cheap, not expensive.

Cheers,

Michi.
By rachelnguyen
That is hilarious that Michi and I ended up within $5 of each other, taking a completely different path to get there. GREAT breakdown, Michi!

In the end of the day, though, the right price is the one that gets the drum sold. That really depends on your neighborhood, the number of drummers in the area, how desperate you are for money, LOL. All sorts of variables that can't be calculated.
By michi
rachelnguyen wrote:That is hilarious that Michi and I ended up within $5 of each other, taking a completely different path to get there. GREAT breakdown, Michi!
There is more than one way to skin a cat djembe :)

Michi.
By AoxoA
michi wrote:
rachelnguyen wrote:That is hilarious that Michi and I ended up within $5 of each other, taking a completely different path to get there. GREAT breakdown, Michi!
There is more than one way to skin a cat djembe :)

Michi.
:lol: