[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Greetings and I guess I'm supposed to say from Denver, CO? - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Tell us a bit about yourself. What you're into and what dreams are etc...
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 2 posts
I've recently been bitten by the Djembe bug - unintentionally of course. I walked into a drum store for bongos and was talked into a Djembe by the employee as it would be my first hand drumming instrument. Usually I do all my research on music-related gear before going into the store - and had done so for bongos, but not Djembes. ;)

Anyway, I walked out with a Toca Synergy Freestyle because I loved the sound of the bass on it. In doing some research on how to play it, I discovered it's not very good. So today I stopped in one of my local guitar centers looking for shakers, and noticed they sell actual Djembes from an importer called Overseas Connection. (which according to my research are supposed to be decent, not mind blowing, but solid) Except, the ropes on it really suck in comparison to some of the others I've seen. (these are much thinner than the ropes I've seen at say goatskins.com and djembedirect and there doesn't appear to be much extra tuning rope, not to mention there are rows on one side of the drum, but not the other) So I've now got a 13" Mali from Overseas Connection which is light years better than the Toca. I can actually hear the difference between a Slap and a Tone - not to mention the bigger head really helps.

Anyways, just thought I'd introduce myself as I'll likely be perusing quite a bit in search of knowledge on how to better acquaint myself with this - and if maybe I just go with something from goatskins or djembe direct.

Glad to have such an active and knowledgeable forum to learn from!
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 2 posts