Tell us a bit about yourself. What you're into and what dreams are etc...
By rrgress
Hi,

How good it is to find a community dedicated to this art. This year I attended an african drum concert by Jeh Kulu in New England and was greatly inspired by the rhythms and harmonies used, and the strong link that rhythm has to African culture. Because of this and the fact that I am an organist, I have decided to compose a piece for the cathedral pipe organ that features African drum rhythms. Would anybody be able to answer a couple questions for me?:
  • Is djembefola.com centered around a specific type of African drum or can one learn about the spectrum of African drums here?
  • Is there a place on this forum or elsewhere where I can find information about the harmonics of African drums?
Thanks!

- Richard
By davidognomo
Hi, Richard

welcome to the forum

djembefola.com is centered on west african culture, meaning rhythms from the Mande area, and, as the name illustrates, it's dedicated mostly to djembe, dununs, and some of the other instruments - melodic ones - of that area: balafon, kora, n'goni and some others.

I don't quite understand what you mean by harmonics of african drums. If you mean the tonal relation between two or more drums in an ensemble, that varies. There was a thread where we discussed a bit the tonal relations between kenkeni, sangban and dunumba, but I can't recall the name of the thread. But each musician or musical director has his preference. Maybe you could check out some of Famoudou Konaté's albums. He is really judicious (don't know if this is the right word) about the melodies he creates between the dununs. But the ensemble of the dununs creates more of a melody than a harmonic effect.
By rrgress
That is a fascinating thread and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks (:
davidognomo wrote: djembefola.com is centered on west african culture, meaning rhythms from the Mande area, and, as the name illustrates, it's dedicated mostly to djembe, dununs, and some of the other instruments - melodic ones - of that area: balafon, kora, n'goni and some others.

I don't quite understand what you mean by harmonics of african drums. If you mean the tonal relation between two or more drums in an ensemble, that varies. There was a thread where we discussed a bit the tonal relations between kenkeni, sangban and dunumba, but I can't recall the name of the thread. But each musician or musical director has his preference. Maybe you could check out some of Famoudou Konaté's albums. He is really judicious (don't know if this is the right word) about the melodies he creates between the dununs. But the ensemble of the dununs creates more of a melody than a harmonic effect.
This is good - I will begin researching the different types of drums you mentioned and other instruments important to West African music. Thanks for the info. Perhaps by "judicious" you mean "picky" (has a negative connotation but can be a good thing, IMO.) Anyway I will check out his albums.

To create a piece for a very tonal instrument, I will need to find out some things from that thread and do additional research about what *tones* come out of drums and other instruments. That way it can be a good imitation.