Tell us a bit about yourself. What you're into and what dreams are etc...
By Bry91
Hi there!

My name is Bryony and I am a 3rd year music undergraduate at university. I am currently conducting a research project on the presence the the Djembe in Cardiff, Wales and would really appreciate any information in this area! Such as concerts, events, lessons or anything else you might think could be relevant.

Thanks!
Bryony
By djembeweaver
Hi Bryony,

There are definitely some West African artists in Wales. Can't remember who off the top of my head but I'll put a Facebook query out and get back to you.

Jon
By djembeweaver
Hi Bryony,

You're in luck I think, since there are a few good djembe players near you by all acounts.

There is a guy called Aaron from 'Slapping Skins' who teaches in Bridgend about 20 miles from Cardiff. I have not met him personally but I have seen some of his videos on Youtube and I can confirm that he has very good technique and has clearly studied with djembefolas.

Another good lead is members of Ballet Nimba, who are based around that area. I think Idrissa Camara lives in Cardiff (he is the lead dancer and choreographer of Nimba) and Simon (I forget his second name but he plays djembe with Nimba) lives near there too I think.

Let me know if you find anyone, or if you need any more help contacting any of the people I have mentioned (I could easily get contact info for them with a bit of digging)

Jon
By Waraba
If they are called Nimba definitely ask about the meAning of the name. The Nimba, my understanding, is a ritual dance once a year where a masque comes to ward off disease. It has a special rhythm related to a very common rhythm (like Macru or something) but is in fact it's own thing.
By djembeweaver
Waraba wrote:If they are called Nimba definitely ask about the meAning of the name. The Nimba, my understanding, is a ritual dance once a year where a masque comes to ward off disease. It has a special rhythm related to a very common rhythm (like Macru or something) but is in fact it's own thing.
Na...they just named themselves after Mount Nimba, which is the tallest mountain in Guinea, just South Of Nzerekore

Jon
By love to dance
Hello Bring I've only just joined this forum and am interested to know how you got on with your research project. You've probably graduated by now but I would like to know how you got on.ci live near Carfiff :D