Tell us a bit about yourself. What you're into and what dreams are etc...
By jahbuyaka
1st post :D, but long time/daily djembefola viewer. i am humbled to be here amongst such knowledgable and experienced folks in the world of djembe. i am originally from ny but have been living in hawaii for 20 years and playing djembe on & off for about 15, but not consistently. so unfortunately my progress has been slow and uneven. although i am a slow learner, my enthusiasm and love for the djembe has never waivered.

i have enjoyed over the years reading all the posts on this board from the likes of michi, rachel, dugafola, e2c, bops, bubudi and too many more to mention. i feel like i know you all, on some level anyway. just wanted to say i have learned so much here and really appreciate all the work james has put into building this site into the premeire resource for djembe music on the internets( :D).

and i feel forever grateful to the countless musicians, dancers, master and grand master drummers from the Manding for bringing & sharing their beautiful culture and music with the world.

mahalo,

buyaka
By michi
Hi Buyaka, welcome to the forum!

Please post your stories and questions--the more, the merrier! :)

Michi.
By gr3vans
Welcome!

My Friend Rick just moved out to the islands somewhere. He has a warehouse full of knowledge about Mandeng music stored up in his little head. Not sure if y'all know each other, but if you don't you should track him down and see if he has my favorite sangban stick... :)

greg
By rachelnguyen
Ah yes, finding a sangban stick in a haystack, LOL.

Welcome to the forum buyaka! It is great that you have introduced yourself. We really do feel like we know one another here! I have yet to meet a fellow djembefola.com friend in person and somehow feel like we are all old friends.

(Actually, that is not strictly true. I know Alan Tauber from Drum Connection in real life, but we met before he was on this board.)

So, pull up a chair and have a cup of Kona. (Damn I miss that stuff. I spent a brief time in HI when I was in college and there are things about it I will NEVER forget. Plumeria, for one. And stephanotis. I can still smell them....)

Peace,

Rachel
By jahbuyaka
aloha greg and rachel,

thanx for the welcome. let me know if you find out where your friend has moved. would love to meet him. ahhhh, i may already have. he may have played for a dance class for sekou with me. is his last name thorn or something like that?

rachel, i come back to the east coast every summer, including RI. i'm usually down in the charlestown area. would love to meet up and play one day.

anyways, look foward to chatting with you all.

buyaka
By rachelnguyen
That would be awesome! I am in Warwick, so it is a hop skip and a jump. Definitely let me know when you are in town. Do you have folks here?

Rachel
By gr3vans
jahbuyaka wrote:aloha greg and rachel,
is his last name thorn or something like that?
Thompson.
By jahbuyaka
hmmm, not sure if that was him or not greg. haven't seen him since but i'll try and find out. i just checked out your blog too. a very cool/great idea.

yes rachel. i've got family in connecticut and friends over in charlestown. so i am there every summer for a few weeks. would love to get together and drum with you whilst i am there.
By Waraba
What about posts from Waraba? That guy's awesome.
By tauber
I think you mean Wataba? (the great panther) Mamady Kourouma.

Alan
By michi
tauber wrote:I think you mean Wataba? (the great panther) Mamady Kourouma.
No, I mean Waraba, a member of this board who was commenting on himself :)

Michi.
By tauber
Ya I realized this after. I'm sorry and please excuse me forgetting Waraba. I have been away from this list too long!

-Alan