Tell us a bit about yourself. What you're into and what dreams are etc...
By Waraba
Hi! I am not new here. I want a free copy of you-know-what. My handle is Waraba, which in Bamanakan means "Lion" and I've since been told by a very good djembefola that I am not powerful enough for that name. This is true. However, I feel it is balanced out by my jamu (last name) which is "Surugu." When I accepted it, I thought it meant leopard. So I went running around Bamako introducing myself as "Waraba Surugu." This got lots of laughs. Laughs of appreciation of course, I thought, because of two such powerful creatures together in one name... By the time I found out what "surugu" really means, it was too late...

:shock:
By bubudi
i guess anyone would rather be a waraba than a suruku! still, you could have been called ngonba or kulokulo or or even bubuni (bamana version of bubudi). :D
By michi
When I went to Mali and told people my name, I got a laugh every time, especially from children. "Michi" means "cow" in Bamana :-)

Michi.
By Waraba
michi wrote:When I went to Mali and told people my name, I got a laugh every time, especially from children. "Michi" means "cow" in Bamana :-)

Michi.
Man, for the longest time I figured that was your African name. Because "Michi-che" is a bull. So I thought you were using Michi as short for that. But I guess that's just bull. Or bully!

Anyway, we get them back when they start talking about the "bozo..."

And I remember always going to play at a "konyo," which means something rather nasty in Spanish.
By Waraba
bubudi wrote:i guess anyone would rather be a waraba than a suruku! still, you could have been called ngonba or kulokulo or or even bubuni (bamana version of bubudi). :D
wait wait wait--I don't know those three words. We need to start a Bamanakan language thread.
By bubudi
yea that would be cool if there were enough takers. anyone else speak some bambara or keen to learn?
also, if you want to learn some krio (spoken in sierra leone, liberia and gambia), check out the krio language thread. i promise you'll find krio a lot of fun and not hard to learn (i'm willing to help anyone out). we've got a susu language thread happening, too.
By Waraba
OK, let's start a bamana language thread. I know a very little and am keen to learn. How do we start a language thread?