Find other drummers nearby or on your travels.
By Marc_M
Anyone going to be at any of Famoudou's workshops?

I was thinking of going to Montreal and/or Colorado

edit: Complete listing of dates for North America
http://www.famoudoukonate.com/english/calendar.htm#usa

June 11th-June 15th
Montreal, Quebec
Afrique en Mouvement

July 17th-July 19th
Fort Collins, Colorado
Culture Child Productions
Last edited by Marc_M on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dleufer
I've been seriously considering going to the Conakry 2010 Jan-Feb workshop. Whew. I'd say it would be some crazy stuff. I almost couldn't believe how good it sounds when I read about it. Drum paradise. Anyone been to one of those? Any tips? My one concern is that I might not be good enough to benefit fully from it but I suppose I'd get good quite fast in that kind of environment. I might also go over a month before and train with some other guys in preparation.
By Marc_M
D.L. -

I have done only one weekend workshop with Famoudou in the past, but it was definitely worth it. Famoudou has great stories, and knows a great deal of history which is worth picking up before it is lost. I wish I could go to Conakry, but unfortunately I can't take the time off work. However, I think it would be a great learning opportunity, so if you have a chance to go, you may really want to consider.

Perhaps someone else has done his month long intensive.
By Dugafola
Marc_M wrote:Anyone going to be at any of Famoudou's workshops?

I was thinking of going to Montreal and/or Colorado

edit: Complete listing of dates for North America
http://www.famoudoukonate.com/english/calendar.htm#usa

June 11th-June 15th
Montreal, Quebec
Afrique en Mouvement

July 17th-July 19th
Fort Collins, Colorado
Culture Child Productions
marc,

i was chatting with guy who's organizing the colorado workshop. he said numbers will most likely be on the smaller side since it's a first time workshop for FK in CO. that's kind of bad for him, but great for students.

working with Fams in smaller groups is what you want. he'll be way more accessible and he'll be able to give everyone more attention then in a workshop with 50+ other ppl.

also, i'd recommend sitting as close to Fams as possible and/or near the dunun.
By Marc_M
Duga -

I must have missed your posting somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the advice. I was considering the FK workshop in Colorado. I will definitely sit close to Famadou. I did a weekend a year ago in Rochester N.Y., but have have improved a lot since then. Looking forward the the workshop.

Thanks for the advice and Happy Drumming.