Find other drummers nearby or on your travels.
By KemperKan
Hi,

I'm away to Casamance for 3 months this winter and I'll be based in Abene, very nice location on the coast.

I'm looking for people who want to play intensively for a few weeks so we can work with my master Mockoulo Moctar Sawane and learn some traditionnal Casamance rhythms.

Mockoulo is a really energetic teacher, no simple "on the beat" pulsation involved, his rhythms are typical from Casamance and you won't find them anywhere else. There are also chances for playing Serouba if you so wish.

If anyone is interested, give me a shout. I don't want to be all by myself!!!! :smokin:
By KemperKan
Hey, would be cool to meet some people on the way, so if anyone is going that way, let me know. :mrgreen:

Great site by the way, thanks for the ghanean drumming lesson.
By the kid
I hear Cassamance is a tropical paradise, A lot of my friends in Gambia are from Cassamance and they don't shut up about the size of their mangoes. I hope to spend a bit of time in cassamance at some stage in feb-march. sure would be cool to hook up with ya if you're in the area.

i'd like to travel to burkino Fasso first and travel back through Mali,Guinea and guinea bissau then cassamance. I've contacts of drummers and guys with bar in Abene and know some very good batik artists in Ziginchor.

by the way, Is the teacher Mockoulo Moctar Sawane a Jole.
be interesting to hear more of his style of drumming.
yo so i'm listening to him now on my sp@ce
sounds nice, especially balant
peace man, good luck
By KemperKan
Hey Keanie,

Moctar is a Mandinka but there are a bif mix of people in Casamance, and a lot of Djolas. Balant is actually a rhythm from Guinea Bissau, he's been teaching it to us this summer in a festival. That's definitely Mockoulo style!!! I'm really wanting to do some more of these types of rhythms so if you're around, give me a shout and we can get something going. I'm trying to organise a 2-3 weeks workshop session with him, I'll let you when that will be.

I'll also be travelling to Mali and Guinea, so could do some of the road together as well.

I'll let you know what the exact plans are.

Take it easy,

Pierre
By rachelnguyen
I am starting to get pretty excited, you guys. It is looking very likely that I am going to Mali for a couple weeks in early January. In early October, the Drum and Dance Ensemble of West Africa came through the area on tour and I had a blast getting a chance to meet them. These are some of the folks my teacher played with when he lived in Mali.

What an amazing experience. By the third time I met them, I truly felt like a member of the family. Getting to see them perform and then hanging out with them after were wonderful. I can't wait to study with them in Bamako when I go.

This is my first trip to Africa. I am really excited about it!
By tekrtu
KemperKan wrote:Hi,

I'm away to Casamance for 3 months this winter and I'll be based in Abene, very nice location on the coast.

I'm looking for people who want to play intensively for a few weeks so we can work with my master Mockoulo Moctar Sawane and learn some traditionnal Casamance rhythms.

Mockoulo is a really energetic teacher, no simple "on the beat" pulsation involved, his rhythms are typical from Casamance and you won't find them anywhere else. There are also chances for playing Serouba if you so wish.

If anyone is interested, give me a shout. I don't want to be all by myself!!!! :smokin:
I will fly to Dakar the 2nd of january. I will stay in Senegal two months. So, if I am lucky I propably come to visit also in Casamance. Anyway, my plans are still open, so I can´t say more. As a matter of fact I have to suggest trip to Casamance to couple of my senegalese friends who has also nice connections in Casamance. By the way if you check out my other post (my senegalese connection) there is few videoclips about the sound of Casamance, Ibrahima playing bougarabous.

I apologize my poor english :shock:
By Finn
KemperKan
I fly out to dakar on the 28th nov, im going to saly to study with ansumana Vieux Bakayoko's old troupe for a few week then travel across to bamako to spend some time with sidiki camara and national ballet of mali, i have to be in banjul to meet a friend who is coming to spend two months drumming with me, if all goes to plan I’ll be in Casamance around the first week in jan.
Id love to spend some time with Mockoulo as my teacher, i thought he was a really nice guy.
Were you at Doris this year Pierre?
When are you going to guinea? This will be the start of a long journey for me, i intend to spend the next two years or so in west africa and i have no plans after Casamance, i’ll be on my own so a companion on the road would be wonderful!
Let me know what your plans are!
Hopefull catch up soon
Finn :D