By michi
Have just arrived in Tulum for Mamady's workshop.

Looks like about 42 workshop attendees will be here. Things are going to get underway tomorrow, after the welcome reception in a few hours.

Will try and upload audio occasionally, the Mexican Gods of the Internet willing…

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:did you end up testing with MK again?
No, I put the cert aside after Bali for the time being, due to work commitments. Mamady put the hard word on me during the workshop though. I had better not show up next time without taking the test :)

Michi.
By jcsimmer
I'm really happy to hear that Michi. It's great to hear your master has the belief in your djembe ability. you've worked hard and we all want to see you achieve.
jeff
By djembefeeling
michi wrote: I had better not show up next time without taking the test :)
why should you? you know all the stuff already, there are better ways of achieving than taking tests when you are kind of test-allergic...
By michi
Well, yes, I take your point. Mamady was adamant that he wants to see me get that cert…

In a sense, it's a waste of time because, having studied up for the cert twice already, it's done it's job: I've learned a lot along the way. But then, I guess I would be proud to finally get the dang thing :)

Michi.
By Dugafola
how was the workshop? what was the skill level? challenging?

pics look nice.
By michi
Workshop was a lot of fun, with quite a packed program. When Mamady wasn't teaching, the TTM people were teaching. Drumming from 8:30 to 9:30 with TTM teachers, then Mamady teaching from 10:00 to 12:00, then TTM teachers from 2:00 to 3:30, then Mamady from 4:00 to 6:00, and another session with TTM teachers from 8:00 to 9:00.

So, 7.5 hours of instruction per day, including 4 hours with Mamady. Mamady didn't teach any traditional rhythms, only compositions of his own. The TTM teachers covered the traditional stuff. Good value in terms of content, especially for less advanced people. They certainly walked away with a ton of material.

Skill level was not all that high, with only a few advanced students, and quite a few beginners.

Cheers,

Michi.