[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bolokada's first camp in Guinea? - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

By michi
archetypo wrote:No idea, but as he'll be staying at my home next week, I'll ask him :)
Please do, Anna, I'd love to find out!

Michi.

PS: Tell the man I'm very sorry I haven't met him yet, and I'm working hard on rectifying the problem! ;-)
By Dugafola
michi wrote:Duga, you are close to Bolokada too. Can you help?

Cheers,

Michi.
he's had westerners in guinea for a long time...maybe since late 90s when he joined PdG. I think his first official workshop may have been 03-ish set up by Ballet Warraba in Asheville, NC.

he's in canada right now with Mamady. if he calls this week, i'll ask him.
By Dugafola
davidognomo wrote:
Dugafola wrote: he's in canada right now with Mamady
I've never seen them together. Is it usual?
It's their first time teaching together in this type of setting. they've talked about touring together for a while now. it just happened that Famoudou was denied his visa into Canada so Bolo got the call.
By Dugafola
davidognomo wrote:but they had contact before, in the states, in guinea, as artists?
sure.

Mamady was long gone to europe before Bolo even left the village for Conakry....that's around 1996-ish. They met soon after since Bolo was now part of Percussions De Guinee and playing all over Conakry at that point doing folklore playing as well as the ensemble/ballet stuff.

Here in the US, i think they ran into each again when Bolo was in North Carolina and Mamady visited for a workshop...that was maybe 2004/5.

there's a picture on my FB of one of their meetings in Santa Cruz when Mamady taught a workshop and Bolokada was living in San Francisco at the time.

since then they've been in regular contact both here and in Guinea.

They will both be at Camp Fareta again this summer.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:[
he's had westerners in guinea for a long time...maybe since late 90s when he joined PdG. I think his first official workshop may have been 03-ish set up by Ballet Warraba in Asheville, NC.
Thanks for that. I'm asking because, recently, someone added Bolokada to the list of early camp organisers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djembe#Djembe_tourism

By what you are saying, it looks like Bolokada cannot have run a camp before the late 90s, and maybe not until the early 2000s, which would make the addition of his name to this paragraph incorrect?

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 2
  • 16 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable