[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mali in January 2012 with Sidy Maiga - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 12 posts
By rachelnguyen
Hi all,

There is still time to join Sidy Maiga for his January workshop in Bamako. This year is going to be great fun!

The dates are 1/10 through 1/27. There is some flexibility for the start date.

We are going to do drumming and dancing every morning and head out to street parties, weddings and other cultural events in the afternoons. Accommodations are comfortable, generally 2 to a room with shared bathrooms.

Food, housing, local transportation and classes are all included for a fixed price.

PM me for more details!
Rachel
By Waraba
Rachel, I badly need some things from Mali. I need a hat & pants to match the kono wolovla style shirts I have, and giant Malian seke seke. And, the mali-style djembe waist strap, the simple off-white cloth. When you go, do you think you'll have room to bring any of the above back to sell? I lived with troupe sarr back in '92 but never got those things.
Hi Waraba,

I can do my best. I am only going to be there for a couple weeks, and sometimes finding things for purchase can be a challenge, as you know. I would probably have room in my bags since I am not going to be buying any drums this year. Can you pm me with photos of the clothes you have/want? I try to avoid the artisan market at all costs, but might be able to make some private inquiries. There are almost always folks around willing to hunt stuff down.

Rachel
Because I have been to Mali twice in the last couple of years, the travel clinic told me I didn't need to come in for an appointment. They just phoned my prescriptions for malaria meds and cipro into my pharmacy. No shots, LOL. I feel like that is some kind of major accomplishment!
By Michel
Fyi: Last week there was some kidnapping in Mali, bloody terrorists armed by Khadaffi make things unsafe in the northern part. As long as you don't pass Mopti there's no problem, is what Malian friends tell me. Please don't cancel your trip, is what they've been asking me..... Have fun! My direction is Senegal this year.
Michel,

I am NOT canceling my trip, LOL. There have been periodic kidnappings on an ongoing basis in the Northern frontier for years. The State Department has not issued a travel advisory for Bamako, nor are they asking Americans to leave the city. We will avoid tourist areas and hang with the locals and I expect to be just fine.

Prayers are welcome, of course!

Love,
Rachel
By Michel
That's only because there is no American kidnapped. The French, German, Dutch and south-African state departments have their advisories. Guess which nationalities have been kidnapped..... But in Bko you're safe. And yes, it's true, the kidnappings happen every november/december, just before tourist season starts....
By michi
There is no way something like this would happen to you in Bamako. From what I've been told, the south and north of Mali are completely different, almost like two different countries. What's going on in the north really isn't relevant if you are staying in Bamako.

Cheers,

Michi.
You know, I almost don't want to even talk about this issue because I am so sad about what this is doing to the already fragile economy of Mali. It just kills me. Kidnappings have happened every year I have gone to Mali, despite all the travel warnings telling foreigners to stay away from the Northeast frontier. I am heartsick for the tourists who are captured. I am sad for the folks in Mali whose livings are being destroyed.

My brother asked me the other night if he needed to worry about me when I was in Bamako. I think that it is a little like asking a New Yorker if they are safe when there are riots going on in Los Angeles.
By EvanP
Well said! Furthermore how many kidnappings, murder, muggings, etc. happen in the US? I've got to think that the news is diproportionate to the risk.

Of course it never hurts to be careful! (trust everyone but brand your cattle!)
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 12 posts