[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fode Seydou Bangoura - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 9 posts
bafode is in Lisbon. We're very happy and excited to have him here, even if it's just for a weekend. Hopefully, he will show up at our friday night class (not a frequent thing, wshops or classes with west african teachers/folas in Lisbon).

next stop, babara bangoura, aminata touré and alpha touré for a 1 week camp here in portugal next september, promoted by ttm portugal.
By davidognomo
I'll definetly try, and I'm sure I will.

Meanwhile, Bafode's workshop was a blast. He's a monster of a djembefola.
The diagnosis for Portugal from bafode, at the advanced class was "good level", but we had 6 intermediate attendants and 4 advanced attendants. So the diagnosis is like, really sad. It is already so rare to have guest artists coming to Portugal, and seeing that someone like bafode can't mobilise more than 10 attendants makes you think...

Curiously, Bafode brought an Ivory Coast djembe (iroko shell), wich surprised me. Said his favourite wood was hare. Very funny to see the advanced attendants practically drewlling over bafode's tonpalo slaps...

As a beginner/intermediate, it was for me an enormous pleasure to make my debut on the duns, playing the kenkeni to support the advanced sessions. Had some severe looks from bafode, but after I told him I was sorry, that it was my first time doing that, he promptly answered it's ok, that's how you learn. In the end, it was ok, I did ok, didn't compromise the thing, hung on to the drum pattern, invented a little on the bell pattern, had bafode throwing some solos at me, in dialogue with my kenkeni pattern, to see if I was stuck to it, keeping me alert, I had a lot of fun.

For the guys in the States, and most of all the advanced and (semi)pros, I highly recommend to look for Bafode's workshops or classes. He's all about complex, fast solo phrases and means business during the whole time. He soloes with an enormous strengh at class, not saving energy.

He has his Guinea Camp, in January. The guy who brought him, with whom I have my weekly classes, was there last year and had the chance to be the only attendant for the first two weeks, being joined by two other guys for the next two. Information at Fode's website.
By bops
davidognomo wrote:He's a monster of a djembefola.
Agreed. Not only that, but he's also a very musical player. He has a lot of phrasing, not "all warra all the time."
davidognomo wrote:As a beginner/intermediate, it was for me an enormous pleasure to make my debut on the duns, playing the kenkeni to support the advanced sessions. Had some severe looks from bafode, but after I told him I was sorry, that it was my first time doing that, he promptly answered it's ok, that's how you learn.
Haha! Yeah, definitely, that's how you learn! Any "advanced" jembe or dunun player has gotten his or her share of severe looks. :D Glad you had fun, good job.
By Dugafola
davidognomo wrote:
Curiously, Bafode brought an Ivory Coast djembe (iroko shell), wich surprised me. Said his favourite wood was hare. Very funny to see the advanced attendants practically drewlling over bafode's tonpalo slaps...
he plays iroko almost exclusively these days. he has a nice lenke guinea shell at DSD right now getting skinned up. i don't think he currently owns a hare drum.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 9 posts