[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Drum and dance camp, August 2010, NSW, Australia - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 7 posts
Bortier and Afotey's drum and dance camp is coming up 13-15 August 2010 in northern NSW, near Yamba. I've been to this camp twice before--definitely worth going to. It all happens on a large private property in the bush. This isn't a commercial operation--more like a family gathering. Bortier and Afotey are great teachers and a lot of fun to hang out with. Bring your tent and your drum. Food (very nice food too) is provided by Gigi and Kim, and you definitely won't go hungry!

Hope to see you there!

Michi.
gigikimcamp.jpg
African Soul and Hewale Drum and Dance Camp
gigikimcamp.jpg (386.93KiB)Viewed 1294 times
Hi Mich, I'd like to get clarification about the flyer. There's a drum from Ghana on top, but they show that the teacher is playing the djembe. Is this is a master djembe player from Ghana, or master drummer from Ghana who teaches his own drumming tradition and teaches djembe on the side? If a master djembe player, who did he study with that initiated him in to master-hood? What ethnic group is he from? If not Malinke/Mandingue, does he (hopefully) teach drumming from his own tradition, or only djembe? I would love to see more of the beauty and sound of the percussion of ethnic groups in Ghana perpetuated with as much dedication and intensity as the djembe seems to be.
Bortier is a drummer from Ghana. He's been playing since he was something like 8 years old and plays traditional Ghanaian drums as well as dunduns and djembe. His ethnic group is Ga. He teaches both Ghanaian traditional rhythms as well as Malinke rhythms.

He's had a quite a few teachers over the years. His main teacher is Isaac "Tuza" Afutu, a Ghanaian master drummer. (Tuza won the Pan-African drumming contest twice, once when he was 18, and once when he was in his mid-twenties.) I know that other teachers of Bortier include Adama and Madou Keita from Burkina Faso, as well as Adotey Richter from Ghana. (I'm sure that he has had many other teachers over the years.)

I've studied with Bortier twice in Ghana, for a month each time (six days a week, 3 hours per day). He's an excellent teacher and a phenomenal drummer.

As I said, he teaches not only djembe, but also treshi (kpanlogo) as well as Ewe drums, talking drum, and whole bunch of other stuff.

Bortier is among the many Ghanaian drummers who curse the predominance of the djembe in the western world ("bloody djembes everywhere"). I've heard him play treshi like a demon and, believe me, that drum can be every bit as expressive as a djembe. But, over here in Australia, the main focus is on djembe, because that's all people know... (I think you can count the total number of threshis in all of Queensland on the fingers of two hands.)

Anyway, I can recommend Bortier as a teacher and as a fun person to hang out with. Having rubbed shoulders with him (literally) for weeks at a stretch, I can attest to his teaching and artistic merits.

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
jeffduyndam wrote:Sounds good Michi, I'm over in Christchurch, maybe I can make it over since I'm pretty close...
Hey, would be great to meet you in person. Say hello to Josie for me next time you see her!

Cheers,

Michi.
I will say hi to Josie, this weekend in fact. She is coming to Christchurch for Mohamed Bangouras 3 day workshop.

Mohamed is staying with me along with Jimmy Dale and Ra (she met you at Epizos camp last year) and 2 members of Tamani, Jimmy's West African drum troupe from Auckland.

We have a big show this Friday, it's going to be rocking!
jeffduyndam wrote:I will say hi to Josie, this weekend in fact. She is coming to Christchurch for Mohamed Bangouras 3 day workshop.

Mohamed is staying with me along with Jimmy Dale and Ra (she met you at Epizos camp last year) and 2 members of Tamani, Jimmy's West African drum troupe from Auckland.
Hey, good to hear that Josie's and Ra's torches are burning ever so brightly! :) Say hello to Ra for me too please!
We have a big show this Friday, it's going to be rocking!
Break a leg! :)

Cheers,

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 7 posts