[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mamady keita advanced camp in senegal, dec 2009/jan 2010 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 7 posts
the time is coming near for mamady keita's annual camp in the beautiful village of abene in senegal, and what a perfect place to do a camp, right near the beach, in a village full of musicians, dancers and artisans, with more moderate weather and no sign of political instability.

this camp was introduced last year in addition to the annual camp in guinea. the overall level of the camp is higher and in addition to many rhythms, there is a focus on breaks and solos as well as the opportunity to learn some of mamady's own compositions. to qualify, you should have been playing regularly for at least 4 years, be able to do 4, 5 and 6 stroke rolls, know some traditional solos and have learned around 30 traditional mande rhythms. it's only 2 weeks, from 26th december to 7th january 2010 (with travel to banjul, arriving 25th december and leaving 9th january). cost is £800 for 30 hours tuition, all food and accommodation, entertainment at the local festival and carnival and transport from/to banjul airport. the number one course to do with the master! optional extra 10 hour dunun workshop during this camp for £150 (dunun workshop taught by seckou keita).

there is another 2 week intermediate camp starting the following month with seckou keita at the same location (with travel to banjul arriving 12th february and returning 26th february). to qualify you should have been playing regularly for at least 2 years and have learned around 15 traditional mande rhythms. cost is £720. optional extra 10 hour dunun classes during this camp for £150. cost for only 1 week of seckou's camp: £400. seckou is a phenomenal musician and an excellent teacher.

for more info:
http://seckoukeita.com/senegal
info@worldartventures.com
+ 44 7940 266 773
Cheers mate..
What I was eluding to was that this was an advance camp last year.. Was there two camps last year.. If not then the one I heard about was very mixed..
I have time off this year so it is a possibility.. I see that with the problem in Guinea this camp might get more focus.. There was just about 15 people last year, as far as I heard and it was mainly English, which like Ireland wouldnt have the highest levels...

Any thoughts, anyone going, anyone heard about last year?
as far as i know it was a mainly english group last camp and there will likely be a lot of uk peeps next camp. however, this time it has been advertised to the french crowd and now on this forum to the international crowd, so... have faith! it has the potential to be even better than the guinea camp.
this camp planned in conjunction with seckou keita's intermediate camp, so the level would be higher. make that definitely, because the guinea camp was canceled. at any rate, from what mamady's long standing students say, even when the general level is lower than expected, mamady can always pull out some things for the advanced players.
Hi Guys, due to extreme circumstances I've had to edit this thread a little... and lock it down.

Sorry... This is more for privacy than sensorship having been contacted directly by some of the people involved...

All shall become clear in a couple of days I'm sure and I thank you in advance for your patience...

I'd ask that people don't put re-post the news that came out here elsewhere...

thanks in advance for your patience and understanding. :smokin:
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 7 posts