[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mamady's workshop in San Diego - Page 5 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

By michi
Dugafola wrote:
bubudi wrote:pretty hectic day! i think baradossa is a trad rhythm though, no?
both Fams and Billy Konate teach Baradossa. I'd guess that Mams is different then theirs.
Oops, yes, Baradossa is traditional, me bad...

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Day 7 of the workshop...

Mamady finished Koredjuga with the intermediate group and started working on a dundunba. He calls it "Dununba 2". It's one of the dundunbas that are a little easier to feel. Not as much off-beat stuff going on as, say, with Bolo Konondo.

The advanced group started on a rhythm called Kedju. (It's pronounced "Kedoo"--the j is silent.) We'll continue on that one today.

Phrasing and techniques are gradually increasing in complexity as he goes along. The amount of material he packs in is immense. It will take me weeks and weeks to go over the material to properly bed it down. I'm also starting to suffer from memory overload--it's difficult to remember it all because, with a new rhythm every day or every second day, there isn't enough time for me to really commit it all to long-term memory.

The pyramid keeps growing. He added to the intro for Soli Des Manian yesterday, and added a bunch of breaks to put into the middle of the rhythm. Some of these are definitely not easy to play. We'll start on the fifth and final rhythm for the pyramid today. Seeing how Mamady has gradually pushed the complexity of the techniques, intros, and breaks with each rhythm, I expect this last one to be a humdinger...

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Dugafola
michi@triodia.com wrote:Day 7 of the workshop...

Mamady finished Koredjuga with the intermediate group and started working on a dundunba. He calls it "Dununba 2". It's one of the dundunbas that are a little easier to feel. Not as mucn off-beat stuff going on as, say, with Bolo Konondo.
so is this another creation??
By michi
Dugafola wrote:so is this another creation??
No, that one is traditional. I'm hoping that Mamady today will again improvise to this rhythm (as he has done with many of the others). If so, I'll post the recording.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
michi@triodia.com wrote:
Dugafola wrote:so is this another creation??
No, that one is traditional. I'm hoping that Mamady today will again improvise to this rhythm (as he has done with many of the others). If so, I'll post the recording.

Cheers,

Michi.
ok...ask him what the real name of the rhythm is if you can. if it's trad., i'm sure it doesn't go by "dununba 2."

maybe donaba 2?
By michi
Dugafola wrote:ok...ask him what the real name of the rhythm is if you can. if it's trad., i'm sure it doesn't go by "dununba 2."
Right you are. What happened was that I only caught the last few minutes of the intermediate group, so I didn't get to hear Mamady's introduction to the rhythm. I asked one of the students afterwards and was told "dununba 2". Yesterday, I caught all of Mamady's intermediate class and found that it really is Konowulen 2.

I've posted a clip of Mamady improvising to it.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Carl
Woot!

I love Konowulen 2.

One of my few recording failurs was Mamady teaching a solo for Konowulen 2. (I was listening to it on my md recorder, then things went screwy!)

Fortunatly I was able to save the base rhythm!

I'll check out the clip during lunch!

C
By michi
Day 8...

Mamady finished teaching Konowulen 2 to the intermediates, and finished Kedju with the advanced group. Some of the solo phrases he taught for that were very challenging. Technically not that hard, but very tricky placement and phrasing.

He started the final rhythm of the pyramid, called Matoto. Matoto is the name of the neighborhood in Conakry where Mamady lives. He told a story about how this neighborhood has changed so many lives. In particular, the many marriages that were started by Africans and Westerners meeting during his drum camps.

Matoto is cool 4/4 with a really nice conversation between the sangban and the kenkeni. I'll try and make a recording of the performance on Saturday at San Diego State University and post at least a few snippets.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
michi@triodia.com wrote:Day 8...

Mamady finished teaching Konowulen 2 to the intermediates, and finished Kedju with the advanced group. Some of the solo phrases he taught for that were very challenging. Technically not that hard, but very tricky placement and phrasing.

He started the final rhythm of the pyramid, called Matoto. Matoto is the name of the neighborhood in Conakry where Mamady lives. He told a story about how this neighborhood has changed so many lives. In particular, the many marriages that were started by Africans and Westerners meeting during his drum camps.

Matoto is cool 4/4 with a really nice conversation between the sangban and the kenkeni. I'll try and make a recording of the performance on Saturday at San Diego State University and post at least a few snippets.

Cheers,

Michi.

matoto is the hotness. i love the conversation b/w the sangban and kenkeni and the dununba just funks up all over the place.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:matoto is the hotness. i love the conversation b/w the sangban and kenkeni and the dununba just funks up all over the place.
Yes, absolutely awesome rhythm! I really like it a lot. Very funky.

Day 9...

Mamady did Yankadi/Macru with the intermediates. No solo phrases just yet, just the breaks and rhythms. The advanced group started on Kuku Des Maoka. It's a version of Kuku with a 6/8 swing it. Mamady invented an accompaniment for it that is pure 6/8 (not just a swung 4/4). Very funky sound with that running over the other accompaniments that are distinctly 4/4...

The pyramid is growing. Worked the afternoon on the intro for Matoto. A lot of fairly lengthy phrases in there. The problem isn't so much playing the phrases. (They are moderately challenging as far as technique is concerned.) But almost everyone is suffering memory problems. It'll take another session to bed it down.

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
kuku maoka is beautiful. i didn't know that ternary accompaniment was his creation though. i like matoto a lot too. lots of dununba phrasing in that one.
By michi
Day 10...

Man, there is no slowing down. Mamady taught Sorsonet and Soli Rapide to the intermediate group. No solos, just breaks and groove. The advanced group did solo phrases for Kuku Des Maoka. Mamady made up the phrases on the spot. That was the most fun session I've had since arriving at the camp. Kuku is such an uplifting rhythm, and the energy level was high, so the class was really rocking.

The afternoon was again spent on the pyramid. As far as teaching is concerned, the pyramid is complete now. We have all the intros and breaks, so it's a matter of polishing things so they are solid. The first three rhythms (Kudani, Kuruni, and Fe 2) are solid, no problems. Still shaky bits in Soli Des Manian and Matoto though. Mamady has started assigning different accompaniments to different people. Tomorrow, we'll be playing standing up, and I expect that he'll assign the solos to various people.

His timing is impeccable. By Saturday night, he will have taught just enough to make sure that things are tight. I'm deeply impressed by his teaching. Absolutely awesome...

I can only repeat myself: if you haven't made to one of Mamady's camps so far, go and get to the next one that comes up. There is probably no better teacher around than him. (Having said that, I've never studied with Bolokada and Famoudou, both of whom are supposed to be excellent. But, as far as I am concerned, Mamady sets the standard.)

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dugafola
bubudi wrote:kuku maoka is beautiful. i didn't know that ternary accompaniment was his creation though. i like matoto a lot too. lots of dununba phrasing in that one.
you can hear kuku maoka on Baba Toure's daakan CD. the track is entitled "Maoka" and has the same intro and outro break/arrangement that Mamady teaches.

the ternary accomp can be rocked in a lot of the forest rhythms like Bao, zaouli and soli des manian etc etc.
By michi
Day 11...

The intermediates spent the morning learning Soli Des Wassolon. It's the same as Soli Rapide, except for a different sangban. Mamady taught the solo original for Soli Rapide for that.

The advanced group did a dundunba called Kibalen. It's a traditional rhythm for men aged 15-25 (roughly). It's a fairly straight-forward dundunba--16-beat cycle, and most of the sangban part is on-beat, so it's quite easy to feel.

The afternoon was spent working on the pyramid (this time standing up). A lot of fun--good mood, and the pyramid is really coming together. Quite tight now, and good to listen to. Mamady assigned solos for the pyramid (20 of them--some people bowed out). He spread the solos over the first four rhythms (5 each). The solos for Matoto will be played by the pros: Ali, Bill, Monette, Aji, Mahiri (Aji (sp?) and Mahiri arrived today), and one other person whose name I forget right now. (Mamady won't solo--he said his solo is the final "bri bidi bi bidi babada" :) )

Mamady gave a long speech about how he felt about the workshop, how it all panned out, and thanked us several times. Man, I'm blown away yet again. The team spirit and good vibes he creates are awesome, and his humility is just amazing. There is one of the best djembe players the world has ever seen, and he thanks his students for giving him their energy. (And he truly believes that. I had a long conversation with him over dinner two nights ago, and his passion for teaching and his compassion for his students is so strong, you can just about touch it with your hands.)

Tomorrow, it's a three-hour rehearsal for the pyramid and (I think) a short dress rehearsal on stage before the performance at around 5pm. After the performance, we'll all congregate at Mamady's house for a party, with genuine African food prepared by his niece (yum!)

We haven't reached the end yet, but this is heads and shoulders the best camp I've ever attended...

Cheers,

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 5 of 7
  • 98 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable