[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mamady's workshop in San Diego - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

By bubudi
are you going to mamady's workshop in brisbane this year? he will be in australia from mid september to early october, details to be confirmed. perth, melbourne, sydney and brisbane were on the circuit last year.
By michi
bubudi wrote:perth, melbourne, sydney and brisbane were on the circuit last year.
Freddy tells me that Mamady won't be coming to Queensland this year. I'll try to catch him in Melbourne or Sydney, depending on the schedule. But, frankly, a one-day workshop with Mamady here doesn't quite compare to a two-week workshop in San Diego ;)

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
bubudi wrote:san diego will certainly have the pro level workshops. none of his oz workshops last year came even close to that level.
Glad to hear it! :) I went to Mamady's advanced workshop in Melbourne last year and, the following day, to his master class. The advanced workshop wasn't particularly advanced. Not that this was Mamady's fault. I was watching carefully what he was doing... He spent about five minutes assessing the skill level of the people who where there and then pitched the class exactly right: the minimum number of people left behind, and the minimum number of people being bored.

The master class the following day was a bit more challenging. Zaouli No. 6, which took two sessions to teach. That one was a lot more fun but, technically, not that hard.

What struck me totally at both workshops though was the absolutely outstanding didactic skills he has. I mean, he isn't just one of the world's best djembe players, he's also one of the world's best djembe teachers. No-one else I've studied with has come even close to Mamady's clarity and precision in teaching. I was very impressed by that. He has a way of teaching that makes it seem easy to play things that people would have thought impossibly difficult a few minutes earlier...

Can't wait until the workshop in San Diego :) And I'm sure there'll be a lot of very advanced players there. All the things I'll get to learn. Yum... :D

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
bubudi wrote:san diego will certainly have the pro level workshops. none of his oz workshops last year came even close to that level.

no they won't. it'll be a 2 week mixed level workshop. he'll do intermed and adv classes with a pyramid class in the evening. he will not be teaching "professional" level workshops at the mini guinea.

michi, i may see you down there. may come check out the performance if i have time. he's coming to me this year just north in santa cruz. that'll be nice.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:he will not be teaching "professional" level workshops at the mini guinea.
Pity. Oh well, I'm sure I'll learn heaps regardless!
michi, i may see you down there. may come check out the performance if i have time. he's coming to me this year just north in santa cruz. that'll be nice.
Hey that would be awesome! Hope it'll work out!

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
Dugafola wrote:he will not be teaching "professional" level workshops at the mini guinea.
is he not teaching 'pro' level anymore? or is that only at a particular time in the year?
By Dugafola
He does teach pro level but they are usuaaly billed as such. The last one in the states was last November.

I believe the next one will be in Chicago next spring.
By dununbabe
Hi you guys..
Mamady does teach pro level workshops around the world, and most times he is in San Diego. However this year he has some time constraints.
That being said.....during the Pyramid class, if there are some professional level students, he frequently gives those people a special set of difficult techniques to perform while everyone else plays accompaniment. In any case, any one who attends will learn a lot.
By michi
chx w/ stx wrote:I'll be there. Only about a week away. I'm excited.
Awesome! Look forward to meeting you there!

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Dugafola wrote: michi, i may see you down there. may come check out the performance if i have time. he's coming to me this year just north in santa cruz. that'll be nice.
Are you still planning to show up at some point? It would be great to meet in person!

Cheers,

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 7
  • 98 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable