[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Brahima Coulibaly and Ibrahima Sarr Workshops Mali - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 12 posts
2 weeks Workshop this August in Bamako with Ibrahima Sarr Djembe and Brahima Coulibaly Dancer. Details can be got from 'www.siraba.be/page.php' Coulibaly's web site.

The guys are amazing. Sarr is a humble giant and extrodinary jembefola. He is a really good teacher especially for advanced students. Brahima Coulibaly is a crazy dancer and a brilliant teacher and a really cool guy.

Both have had really exciting careers having each spent time with the national ballet of Mali.

I trained with Ibrahima Sarr for 12 hours and played one dance class accompianing Sarr with Coulibaly teaching 50 sexy Italians. Twas Brilliant.
Sarr worked us very hard i have to say. He is very determined and knows how it should sound and pushes you to your limits and beyond to achieve that sound. I really didn't expect the results which we achieved as a group in those classes. For me Malian Style was totally new and i was mesmerised at Sarrs playing and laughing when he expected us to do what he did. But through patient instruction we all climbed on board and ripped it out. We covered Madan, N'gri and Manjani in 4 days of 3 hours a day.

Coulibalys style is sexy and eloquent. He has very balanced with super funky moves and loads of intricate and delicate moves of the hands and feet. Its traditional and ballet style dance and is very beautiful expression and movement of the body
I caught the girls on there 3rd day with Coulibaly and they were dancing really nice together. I accompanied Sarr on jembe with another jembe and 3 dundun players. It was amazing. I was thinking i was gonna be beat even in the warm up which was really fast. Theres the dancers stretching and doing nice chilled warm up and us with Sarr sweeting buckets. I relished it do and felt really comfortable drumming with Sarr even do i was at my limits. He is a really nice guy and i felt a good conection between us even do we could not understand each other(he doesn't know english and me to my shame am crap at french). I will certainly try to go to bamako to train with him this winter do..

My friend an Italian spent time in Bamako with Ibrahima Sarr and said he had a really good time. Sarrs band is playing out a couple of gigs every week for malian weddings and ceremonies so you get to train jembe all day and catch savage performances in the evenings.

More info check Brahimas site www.siraba.be and www.Djansa.be
Hello all,

In reaction of this enthousiastic story: Ibrahima Sarr is coming to the Netherlands for a workshop during a weekend on the small island called Schiermonnikoog in the north of our country. He will only teach the advanced classes.

Michel
Guess who was playing dunun?

Good ol'Jeremy. yeah there was 3 dunun s for the dance classes.

For the Ibrahimas jembe classes he showed us the konkoni part but main focus was on the solo.

Ibrahima trained some of the guys in his band Danaya (like one of the dunun players for 25 years) so i'm thinking he can do that.
Hi all,

I hesitated a little bringing you this information, regarding to the rules and guidelines. Being new to the forum , I didn't reach my 10 postings yet. But as you invite me: Djembé-dramé, Moussé Dramé and his wife and about ten volunteers, organise a weekend workshop 13 till 16 of august 2010. They invite 5 djembé teachers and a dance teacher to teach (and perform!) on friday, saturday and sunday. About a 120 people visit this workshop every year, and this year they will have their 10th anniversary. It takes place on a lovely small island with beautifull nature in the most northern part of the Netherlands. More information: http://www.djembe-drame.nl

Michel
And don't forget about Belgium! They are lucky to have some great organisations/teachers in lots of styles. I think it must be the french language. I had to go from Amsterdam to Brussels to see Ibrahima Sarr and band. See the coryphee.be site for example. And it inspired me to try to get mr. Sarr to the workshop I told you about. And succeeded! Hope to meet some international guests over there.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 12 posts