Other west African instruments, like balafon, ngoni etc.
By e2c
You're right - Latin is the most accessible, and the most in-demand. Which is why I'm trying to keep my options open as far as opportunities to play in non-trad settings. :)

The thing is, here in the US, congas (etc.) came with immigrants from Cuba and Puerto Rico, and spread from there. And there are other instruments (like the Puerto Rican bomba and panderetas) that are still largely confined to immigrant communities here. The acceptance of congas, bongos and timbales seems to have had a lot to do with collaborations between various American musicians (like Dizzy Gillespie) with Latino immigrants and second- and third-generation kids of immigrants.

All that's a long way to say that it's going to take time for the djembe and related instruments to settle into our culture - and there's no way of knowing if these instruments will ever gain acceptance in the way that some "Latin" instruments have.
By zackaa05
The history and evolution of music is so very fascinating -- truly marvelous!

I do look forward to seeing what things look like in 10 years, in 30... I'm dead set on getting a bougarabou soon though... I feel like practicing it will also be a lot easier on myself and the neighbors, I feel a lot of self-consciousness practicing even when it is at decent hours due to the noise and cutting projection. The djembe is in-your-face, and I feel like playing a bug will be more palatable all around for the laymen.

here are a couple more videos of some Indonesian bugs from X8 Drums. A couple sound like they are headed with a really thin cow skin, and are being played like a cowskin djembe, but the first video here is a thicker cow, giving the rich and distinct sound:

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5A9fxDIb0&fea ... annel_page[/video]
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxSTljLdBOc&fea ... annel_page[/video]
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeXcFfh2sE&fea ... annel_page[/video]
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=00O338HAJZk&fea ... annel_page[/video]

I actually owned a drum from X8 before returning it and buying a true African drum. It wasn't bad at all, but certainly not African. They are very helpful over there, but they are false advertising, as they call all their drums 'African' while they are not -- very misleading. That being said, their drums are a good alternative for lots of people on a budget. If you check out exit8babe's channel, there are actually quite a few really groovin djembe videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/exit8babe

Anyway, enjoy, and once I get a boug of my own I'll have to post some sample vids :djembe:

Z
By the kid
zackaa05 wrote:They(X8 Drums) are very helpful over there, but they are false advertising, as they call all their drums 'African' while they are not -- very misleading.
Indeed.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxXx8pa8jOk&feature=related[/video]
Heres some autentic Boug playing in it's natural enviroment, entertaining the people in senegal.
By tekrtu
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfebRR3oQ3g&eur ... r_embedded[/video]

Nice that you have found clips, where Beuz is playing bougaraboudrums, from youtube, wich I filmed in his home in Dakar during my first trip to Senegal. These videoclips actually brings very nice memories to my mind and it was great pleasure meeting him and getting to know him and sharing ideas about music in generally.
By kaya
I am new to drumming and have been attending a drumming circle where the vast majority of drummers are playing the djembe. However I have just purchased a bougarabou because I like the sound. Can anyone tell me if it requires the same technique to play the bougarabou, ie slaps tone and bass as the djembe or should I be doing something different.
By bubudi
hi kaya, i moved your question here as we've already discussed this and there are quite a few videos here to demonstrate the authentic sound and technique of bougarabou. the best way to check if something has previously been discussed here is to use the search function on the top right of any forum page.
By stevelev1
I am looking to buy a traditional, peg-tuned, bougarabou. Does anyone know how I can find one?