Other west African instruments, like balafon, ngoni etc.
By Erny
Hi community,

there exists a steel-tongue-drum which, to my mind, has not been mentioned in this section before.

Somehow or other it belongs to the family of "metallic drums (instruments)". It comes with a pentatonic tuning and its sound is very smooth. It can be played with hands or mallets.
A special feature is that the tuning can be changed by varying the position of small lodestones below the tongues and thus modifying the frequency of resonance.(changing the scale from F-major to E-minor). In addition to this C-major, Akebono-minor (japanese scale) and a special scale called "sound of soul", should also be feasible.

According to the manufacturer, the "Klangauge" partly is manufactured in small workshops of disabled persons.

The manufacturer-link:
http://www.klangauge.de/en/news.html

manufacturer-sound-Sample:
http://www.klangauge.de/index-en.html

home-made sound-sample:
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 356 times
There are some videos on youtube available too.

Hope that someone of you will like this information.

Cheers...
...Erny
Last edited by Erny on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By michi
I have one of these, made by a guy in Victoria out of an old 9 kg gas bottle. It sounds nice, very similar to the sound clips on the Klanguage website.

Michi.
By Erny
Hi guys,

thanks for your feedback.

A friend of mine is playing an original hang from Bern (Switzerland) and the sound of it still differs from the Klangauge. Maybe this is, because the hang creates its sound via vibrating, closed surfaces and not vibrating tongues?

Michi, would you like to give us a short example for the sound of yours as .mp3-file?

On my way through Youtube I found this little vid with the Klangauge and a guy, using it very well. Maybe you´d like to have a look at it:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lbLXYR ... ature=plcp[/video]

Cheers...
...Erny
By michi
Erny wrote:Michi, would you like to give us a short example for the sound of yours as .mp3-file?
I'll dig it out over the weekend and post something.

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Here are two images of my gas bottle version. It doesn't sound anywhere near as clean as the Klanguage (but it costs eighty bucks :) ).
Gas bottle 1.jpg
Gas bottle tongue drum
Gas bottle 1.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Gas bottle 2.jpg
Gas bottle tongue drum, top view
Gas bottle 2.jpg (18.21 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Here is a sound clip:
Gas bottle tongue drum - sound sample
(478.32 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Cheers,

Michi.
By Erny
Hi Michi,

thank you so much for pictures and the sound-sample. Yes it sounds indeed different rather like a gong and less like a xylophone, but I like it too.

By the way, did you mix the recording with a reverb-effect later or is there really such a long sustain?

Cheers...
...Erny
By michi
Erny wrote:By the way, did you mix the recording with a reverb-effect later or is there really such a long sustain?
No tinkering on the recording. That's just how it sounds, the sustain really is that long. I goes on for at least 20 seconds.

You need to play this thing with small rubber mallets. Trying to play with fingers doesn't work very well because all you get are overtones, but little of the fundamental. Not possible to hit hard enough to get the fundamental going properly.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Erny
michi wrote: No tinkering on the recording. That's just how it sounds, the sustain really is that long. I goes on for at least 20 seconds.
That´s interesting michi, 20 seconds is quite a long time!
michi wrote: You need to play this thing with small rubber mallets. Trying to play with fingers doesn't work very well because all you get are overtones, but little of the fundamental. Not possible to hit hard enough to get the fundamental going properly.
That´s different with the Klangauge, you can play it with your fingers and with felt mallets too, but it is louder with mallets.

@Trog: thanks for the link, this one is also sold in Germany and I played it already, compared it with the Klangauge and prefered the one I bought!

Cheers...
...Erny