[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hang Drum - Page 2 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Other west African instruments, like balafon, ngoni etc.
By Djembe-nerd
Lucky guy!
I am double lucky then, A hang is on my way too, will soon have it :shock: :D
By bubudi
anyone else hanging for one? ;)

i like them, but not enough to pay anything near what they normally sell for. i think they are really well suited to accompaniment in many situations, as well as being a very nice solo instrument.
By e2c
I decided to get on this fellow's list - granted, the instruments aren't hammered in the same way as the Hang and its cousins, but there's a lot of warmth and richness to the sound...

http://exoticvessels.com/zentambour/

If I could afford a Hang-type drum, I'd go for one of the Indonesian drums...

http://www.hangdrumsandhandpans.com/201 ... ng_22.html

http://www.balisteelpan.com/home

As is, I'm quite tempted by the pelog-tuned Zen Tambour, but will probably end up getting something that works a bit better with Western instruments.
By Djembe-nerd
e2c,

The Zen tambour is the best sounding tounge drum and with nice visuals, good choice.

I am also on the balisteel waiting list, the latest ones from balisteel are sounding very good too. And they are cheaper than the pther alternatives with less waiting.

What scale are you going for in both of the above. I am going for SHo in bali and Hang is Penta C. The SPB is no name but the scale is (D) G A B D E F# G A

Bubs,

I waited for an oppertunity and got them at a reasonable price, not the 5-6-7K that they go for on ebay. Thats the benifit of being in an online community (handpan.org), which is very similar to Djembefola, there were members selling them, and they sell it for the price they bought for what costed them.
By bubudi
thanks for the link, djembe-nerd. may i ask how much you paid for yours?
By Djembe-nerd
thanks for the link, djembe-nerd. may i ask how much you paid for yours?
The links were posted by e2c, but you're welcome :)

I paid 3K for the russian, and 4K for the Hang.
By e2c
I can't spring for that much (wish I could!), but I wonder if a Bali Steel Pan is in my future...

One thing I like about them: they sound more like West Indian steel pans, and there seems to be a beautiful clarity to all of the notes. And... they cost less than Hang and/or some of its best competition. (I realize that there are things about the surface finish that could be improved, but the sound - wow!)

Ideally, I would like to have a few of these drums, tuned to scales that work nicely with each other, and with a good contrast between "dark" and "bright" timbres/tonalities.

The scales that Bali Steel uses are just wonderful, imo, but then, i'm a fan of some kinds of Japanese and Indonesian music... and it's possible to do gamelan-type playing on the Bali Steel pans, which is a big draw for me.

What would be really cool: if someone were to start making good hand pans tuned to various Indian scales....
By Djembe-nerd
[quote]I can't spring for that much (wish I could!), but I wonder if a Bali Steel Pan is in my future...

The scales that Bali Steel uses are just wonderful, imo, but then, i'm a fan of some kinds of Japanese and Indonesian music... and it's possible to do gamelan-type playing on the Bali Steel pans, which is a big draw for me.[quote]

Bali is really good, the clarity of the notes is even better now in the latest ones, highly recommended, and its the cheapest $1200.

[quote]
The scales that Bali Steel uses are just wonderful, imo, but then, i'm a fan of some kinds of Japanese and Indonesian music... and it's possible to do gamelan-type playing on the Bali Steel pans, which is a big draw for me.[quote]

Shang Dio and Gong Dio are other japanese/indonesian ones that I like very much from Bali steel, and there are many when you consider other makers too.

[quote]
What would be really cool: if someone were to start making good hand pans tuned to various Indian scales....[quote]

There are a few tuned to Indian ragas. There is Deshvara (Desh), Tharsi (Indian theme not raga) and Kiavara (Kirvani) from Halo, there are 3-4 based on Indian raga from Bellart Bells, Todi and Purvi from Panart (hang)
By Djembe-nerd
I can't spring for that much (wish I could!), but I wonder if a Bali Steel Pan is in my future...

One thing I like about them: they sound more like West Indian steel pans, and there seems to be a beautiful clarity to all of the notes. And... they cost less than Hang and/or some of its best competition. (I realize that there are things about the surface finish that could be improved, but the sound - wow!)

Ideally, I would like to have a few of these drums, tuned to scales that work nicely with each other, and with a good contrast between "dark" and "bright" timbres/tonalities.

The scales that Bali Steel uses are just wonderful, imo, but then, i'm a fan of some kinds of Japanese and Indonesian music... and it's possible to do gamelan-type playing on the Bali Steel pans, which is a big draw for me.

What would be really cool: if someone were to start making good hand pans tuned to various Indian scales....
Bali is really good, the clarity of the notes is even better now in the latest ones, highly recommended, and its the cheapest $1200.

Shang Dio and Gong Dio are other japanese/indonesian ones that I like very much from Bali steel, and there are many when you consider other makers too.

There are a few tuned to Indian ragas. There is Deshvara (Desh), Tharsi (Indian theme not raga) and Kiavara (Kirvani) from Halo, there are 3-4 based on Indian raga from Bellart Bells, Todi and Purvi from Panart (hang)
By Djembe-nerd
I can't spring for that much (wish I could!),
I have been saving for this a while now, and I sold all my camera gear to get the second one. Since I will have no time left for photography from Djembe and handpans :-)
By e2c
Djembe-nerd wrote:
I can't spring for that much (wish I could!),
I have been saving for this a while now, and I sold all my camera gear to get the second one. Since I will have no time left for photography from Djembe and handpans :-)
:) I wish I could finance things that way, but I don't really have anything that could bring me enough money (on its own) to be able to get the whole purchase price for any of the high-end hang-type drums...

My other "want list" item is a high-quality Kurdish daf with a tympani-quality goatskin head... those are in very scare supply (unless you can travel freely to some fairly isolated parts of Iran, that is).

Thanks for the info. on the raags and makers - these instruments seem like they'd be perfect for Indian classical and light classical music, imo. (Even played as drones...)

Thanks also for the clarification on Kiavara - I didn't realize it was the same as Kirvani.
By MrDingdrum
Hang drums are pretty sweet but, like most of you, I can't justify thousands of dollars on a drum. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative you should take a look at Dingdrums. They sell for more like $250-$350. Personally, I've been playing my Dingdrum more than my djembes since I got it.

http://youtu.be/96myA4wWU8c

AND they're available worldwide through Elderly Instruments!
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DING1.htm
By e2c
MrDD, while I agree with you about the cost of the the Hang, I think there are lots of other viable alternatives.

The Ding - and other tank drums like it - are nice, but don't have the tonal qualities that I'm looking for. (See previous posts in this thread for more discussion on all of this.)

You might find yourself moving on to other instruments, by other makers, given some time.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 2 of 3
  • 32 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable