[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ever hear of a rhythm called dydanba or gydanba - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Discuss traditional rhythms, singing etc
It has several spellings, as usual :-)

Look up "Gidamba" in Mamady's book:
Gidamba
Malinke
Northeast Guinea
Popular

This rhythm is often played at baptisms, weddings, and all other spontaneous celebrations.

Only women perform this dance, though individually, not in a group.

They dance short solos in the center of the circle, accompanied by a drum solo.
Michi.
Howdy,
it is malinke rhythm you can also find in Famoudou's book. The song he uses there 'maboro ma, maboroma a ehhhh' can also be heard in Makru (at least Mamady Keita put it in Makru in one of his pyramids). It is used in marriages, etc., but it seems to be associated to baby naming ceremonies, (though not exclusively so) if I remember correctly.
cheers
Hi Tanamasi,

Based on the song lyrics, I'm pretty sure you're referring to Baga Gine, which is indeed the rhythm Makru (FK slowed down the rhythm, added the song, and changed the djembe accompaniments, but the dununs are the same -- note this comes directly from what FK taught at a workshop last summer).

Gidamba is another rhythm that appears on Rhythms and Songs from Guinea -- "Soma Koro (Dyidanba)", which has an accompanying book you mentioned.

Best,
-Brian
bkidd wrote:Famoudou Konate - Rhythmem Der Malinke, track 1
Billy Konate - Siyara Manden Mansa, track 5
Mansa Camio - N'Koke, track 2
Hello everybody,
be careful while saying "the same song" if you just have a look at the cd titles.
I haven't got the Camio disc N'kokè here, but I would bet, that the rhythm with this title is not the same rhythm as FK's and BK's (and my) dyidanba! I can say that because I saw and played several fêtes with Billy and several in Baro (Camio's home village) and we recorded a disc with Camio (Mansa Camio & Tolonba: Baradota).
You will find the rhythm that I call dyidanba as "dyikaba" on that disc (track 8) - Camio always calls it that way. What he calls dyidanba is a modern 3 dundun version of Maraka that Mansa Camio has brought back from Bamako some 20 years ago acc. to my theory. I don't like it by the way ;-)
In Baro the play both for fêtes. I think they seperated the songs into 2 rhythms, so the new rhythm has become a real part of the culture, it's no "ballet effect" or phenomenon.

Greets, Daniel

Btw, James, this is a nice rhythm to get all the basics for this rhythm group. It's quite useful to learn dyidanba before dya (better: the Camio version "dyikaba", Famoudou's version has a quite boring and untypical Sangban bell line and won't teach you much). In Hamana most people (or all?) play dyidanba like Camio's dyikaba.
Afoba wrote:Famoudou's version has a quite boring and untypical Sangban bell line and won't teach you much). In Hamana most people (or all?) play dyidanba like Camio's dyikaba.
For all those people in lack of your CD -- could you provide some notation here??

cheers, jürgen

by the way, does nobody like my latest arrangement for the rhythm or why did nobody comment on it (or is it that percussion studio sounds so bad)?

music-and-drumming/arrangement-for-gida ... t3534.html
just examples (dundunba is different on the disc. I took the one that would best prepare for playing dya later according to what I wrote in the other thread. There are several possibilities for a basic dundunba.):

Kensedeni is downbeat or: o oo o oo
by the way, we have the xX xX bell on the dundunba here (second on downbeat), so here they are played closely while the sangban double strokes on the third foot aren't! direction: bs sbs sbs sbs s
(first s=sangban on downbeat)
Hi Daniel,

I should have been more careful and not just put out the Gidamba rhythm from Mansa Camio without double checking. This morning I went back and listened to what is called Gidamba on Mansa Camio's CD N'Koke. The basic patterns for the kenkeni, sangban and dununba are:
Code: Select all
Kenkeni
o.o.o..o.o..
Sangban
o..x..o..x..
Dununba
o.o........o
If I'm not mistaken, this is basically what Famoudou plays (there are variations in the dununba) and this is the rhythm we're talking about. Correct? I don't want to put out inaccurate information so please let me know if this isn't correct.

Thanks,
-Brian
bkidd wrote: Correct?
Yes, correct. Daniel, you lost your bet! Probably, Camio just went with Hans and Uli Sterr and the other people he played with for the recording, and they probably got it from Famoudou.

But thanx for the update on how Camio usually plays dyikaba. Interesting to learn that this is the standard in Hamana...
Last edited by djembefeeling on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi Brian and Jürgen,
yes, I'm double surprised! It's the rhythm we're talking about AND it's the Famoudou teaching version!
So I follow your interpretation, Jürgen, concerning why and how they did so. I think it's with Wolfgang Grauer, too?

I thought you would find the Bamako influence more interesting... d;-)
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 2
  • 26 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable