Discuss traditional rhythms, singing etc
By michi
Afoba wrote:hi Michi,
if you don't get any in Matoto, try in Ratoma (Simbaya Gare, Famoudou area). Do you know the way?
Thanks for the tip! I have no idea where that is though. I'm a Conakry virgin :-)

Michi.
By Daniel Preissler
e2c wrote:michi - the Guinea palm sticks that I have played are smaller than the ones from Mali, and shaped a bit differently.
my experiences concerning this (palm stick sizes):

1) dyeli palm sticks in Guinea (I only saw them in Guinea, it will be the same in Mali) - smallest
2) a) konkoni sticks from Bamako - medium
b) kensedeni sticks from Baro/Guinea (not used that often, but produced for westerners) - medium
(you could play an upper guinean kensedeni with a Bamako konkoni palm stick and vice versa - but the konkoni stick is/should be a little bit longer for my taste)
3) Sangban sticks in Baro and Koumana and elsewhere (Guinea) - L
4) Dundunba sticks (rare) - XL

concerning this point 4, have a look at this very fine video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAI5oune ... ll&list=WL
The sangban player uses a straight stick, the dundunba player a palm stick (quite unusual, the opposite would be more logical to me).

Nice little example for examples just being examples and theories just being theories d;-). I can say three or ten or 80 times what is "normal" for me - if someone does it differently, well, then it's just different!

concerning Famoudou's (Simbaya Gare):
michi wrote:
Afoba wrote:hi Michi,
if you don't get any in Matoto, try in Ratoma (Simbaya Gare, Famoudou area). Do you know the way?
Thanks for the tip! I have no idea where that is though. I'm a Conakry virgin :-)

Michi.
Easiest will be to take someone with you (every young male person around Mamady's compound will know where Famoudou lives - if he's Susu or maninka at least).
Still here's a little discription:

You walk up to the Matoto Rond Point. If you're in luck, there will already be some taxis there going to Simbaya Gare and to Cosa (same direction, but different taxis!). It's at the top side of the round about. If there's no taxi there, follow the tarred road upwards until the tar ends. You'll get a taxi there. They are the worst taxis in whole Conakry btw d;-).

When you get off at "Simbaya Gare" (no to be mixed up with the old french station of that name which is a bit more inland), you cross the railways and the big street (there's a pedestrian bridge now).

On the othere side of the street you follow the road leading into the quarter (sometimes there are some drum carvers on the left hand side). You walk about 1km, then you'll arrive at some inner-quarter crossroads (nothing tarred here). The best is to ask here, because you have to turn left here and after some hundres meters heavily right again - they closed the former shorter paths with houses during the last years. This is already Famoudou's street. You will find a three-floor construction in light brown on the right hand side after some 500 m. This is Famoudou's "new" guest house. His two courts lie just behind. Greets to mama Nagnouma d;-)

Have a nice trip,
Daniel
By rachelnguyen
Daniel,
your directions are priceless! Michi, you are going to have a great time... and a great adventure.

I got a boot out of the video, too... especially when the singer starts and the sangban player lays his stick across the dununba. It was clear who was in charge, LOL.