Discuss traditional rhythms, singing etc
By michi
Mamady showed an accompaniment for Kuku Des Maoka that he came up with himself. What makes it unusual is that the accompaniment is pure 6/8 and fits in just fine with all the other 4/4 stuff that's going on.

Here is a sound clip of Mamady playing the standard djembe 1 part for Kuku, for reference:
Kuku djembe 1 (traditional)
(367.84 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Here is Mamady's 6/8 part:
Kuku djembe 3 (not traditional, Mamady's composition)
(747.91 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Here is that part played with the dunduns:
Kuku dunduns with djembe 3
(746.05 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
That part is pure 6/8. Mamady himself pointed this out by playing a standard ttt-t-tt-tt-t 6/8 call followed by that part.

I really like the way that part interleaves with the 4/4 groove.

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
yes that new part he came up with works very nicely. thanks for sharing.

the '1st accomp' that you posted is a point of contention for a lot of people.
compare the kuku he does on wassolon where this part is simplified.
famoudou has said that kuku the way it is played nowadays is a far cry from the original. he teaches that 1st accomp with basses where the slaps are. he also teaches the second accomp slightly differently to mamady.
By michi
bubudi wrote:famoudou has said that kuku the way it is played nowadays is a far cry from the original. he teaches that 1st accomp with basses where the slaps are.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that, thanks!
he also teaches the second accomp slightly differently to mamady.
Could you post a clip?

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
michi wrote:
bubudi wrote:he also teaches the second accomp slightly differently to mamady.
Can you post a clip?
not sure i have one. it's very similar. replace mamady's bass with a slap on the 2nd accomp.
By michi
bubudi wrote:not sure i have one. it's very similar. replace mamady's bass with a slap.
You mean this?
Code: Select all
b.tt..b.b.tt..b.
Instead of the standard version?
b.tt..s.b.tt..s.
Michi.
By bubudi
i said replace the bass with a slap. you have done the opposite :giggle:

for clarity here are both accomps the way famoudou taught them (also note different handing on djembe 2):

djembe 1
tt.bttb.tt.bttb.
rl.lrlr.rl.lrlr.
djembe 2
s.tt..s.s.tt..s.
r.lr..l.r.lr..l.
              ^ start here
By michi
bubudi wrote:i said replace the bass with a slap. you have done the opposite :giggle:
Oops! :oops:
should be like this:
s.tt..s.s.tt..s.
OK, thanks! :)

Michi.
By e2c
bubudi wrote:for clarity here are both accomps the way famoudou taught them (also note different handing on djembe 2):

djembe 1
tt.bttb.tt.bttb.
rl.lrlr.rl.lrlr.
I know this in a somewhat turned-around version as a bass djembe part. Interesting. (would be bb.tttt.bb.tttt, more or less...)
By bubudi
you can hear famoudou's version on his cd, rhythms and songs from guinea (complementary cd to the book of the same name).

e2c, you know that bass djembe parts are a modern addition, right? with the original kuku, the parts were originally played on lower tuned djembes, and without the addition of the dununba.
By Djembe-nerd
djembe 2

Code: Select all
s.tt..s.s.tt..s.
r.lr..l.r.lr..l.
^ start here
Thats interesting, I was told by somone who drums with me and has attended Mamady's San Dieago camp that when the pace becomes real fast on the first accompaniment ( djembe 1 posted above) you take the slaps out and just play the tones.

which will make it complimenting to the one you posted. tones at least

tt..tt..tt..tt..
s.tt..s.s.tt..s.

I don't know if this is legitimate information though.
By e2c
bubudi wrote:e2c, you know that bass djembe parts are a modern addition, right? with the original kuku, the parts were originally played on lower tuned djembes, and without the addition of the dununba.
Yep, I'm well aware of that. I enjoy playing bass dejmbe and used to be able to do so regularly, for dance classes - kuku being a staple of warm-ups, I don't think I'd have been able to avoid learning that part if I'd tried. ;)

At any rate, the part is what it is, whether played on bass djembe or a low-tuned djembe with those awfully newfangled steel rings and nautical/climbing rope, no? :)
By bubudi
Adam wrote:Thats interesting, I was told by somone who drums with me and has attended Mamady's San Dieago camp that when the pace becomes real fast on the first accompaniment ( djembe 1 posted above) you take the slaps out and just play the tones.

which will make it complimenting to the one you posted. tones at least

tt..tt..tt..tt..
s.tt..s.s.tt..s.

I don't know if this is legitimate information though.
good point, adam. you can hear this effect with the tones on the kuku track on mamady's wassolon cd.
By bubudi
speaking of modern parts for kuku, here's a solo accomp i picked up along the way, going over 16 beats or 2 regular dunun cycles:
1...2...3...4... | 1...2...3...4... | 1...2...3...4... | 1...2...3...4...
ssss.tt.b...b... | b.ss.ss.b...b... | b.ss.ss.b...b... | b.ss.ss.tt.tt.t.
rlrl lr r   l      r rl lr r   l      r rl lr r   l      r rl lr rl lr r
i'll try to record a sample in due course.

kuku has a very unique swing that is different from, say, the kassa family of rhythms. very few give kuku the attention it needs with regards to swing when they learn this rhythm.
By michi
bubudi wrote:speaking of modern parts for kuku, here's a solo accomp i picked up along the way, going over 16 beats or 2 regular dunun cycles
Cool, thanks for that! Quite busy accompaniment. I like the way it fits in with the dunduns--nice!

Michi.