Discuss traditional rhythms, singing etc
By bubudi
in my opinion these types of analyses are most useful for those playing accompaniment as we are immersed in the wrong musical culture to pick up the swing subconsciously. that's why so many djembe players in the west play without proper feel. it's very uninspiring and just a bit harder to solo nicely when the accompaniments are lacking feeling.
By djembefeeling
ternarizator wrote:Right for both. I initially thought it was not a good source, but things are not so bad
Soloing might be o.k., but the bell patterns and the duns of MK are too often not played in Hamana.
ternarizator wrote: I saw in another of your threads that ||o . o|o . . || onbeat kensereni can be found for djaa, gidamba and sökö. It tends to confirm the BS hypothesis, don't you think ?
What thread was that? It sounds like the Kensedeni from Kouroussa, but Daniel told me that they have a wayward way of playing it in Kouroussa that he never saw anywhere else.

To really improve the niveau of the discussion for your hypothesis, you need to get in contact with Daniel/ afoba. He'll be a match. I'll need a couple of years to catch up...

cheers, jürgen
By ternarizator
Jürgen wrote:What thread was that?
http://staging.djembefola.com/board/mus ... 95-15.html It was essentially about different versions of gidamba. And one of these versions had the same sangban as in MK's Djaa Siguiri (can be found as variation for N'gri too).

About Sökö, in fact I heard the kensereni playing ||o . o|o . .|| it in this video : [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clck1rEBjGs[/video]

Vincent.
By djembefeeling
o.k., seems I confused the kensedeni patterns that are played awkward in Kousoussa. The |o.oo..| one seems to be o.k. for the family.
By korman
ternarizator wrote:
Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 pm
In Dunungbé, with pairs of on average 41.1 % for the sangban and 35.8 % for the offbeat kensereni, the underlying feeling is a rather hard SML of almost 23/36/41. Thus the soloist should play an attenuated SML...
OK, so I tried to make a practice track for Dundungbe in Percussion studio. In that program you can pick either a binary grid: each 8th note dot divided into 4 (smallest subdivision is a 32-note), or if you press a Shift key ternary grid is available which divides 8th note by 6 (smallest subdivision is a 16th note triplet). So, the desired SML swing could be made quite hard by shifting second and third eight note by a 32-note (25/33/42 relationship), or a little bit softer by shifting by a 16th note triplet (28/33/39 relationship). However, neither version sounded quite right, so I'm thinking it must be the case that different instruments (and perhaps even different beats) are swung differently.

Has anyone been able to produce a realistic sounding PercussionStudio file of dundunba rhythms? Can you share the example file or at least give me a clue? :)
By the kid
I never used it but was messin around a bit with my drum machine, a jomox x base, and found if you double the tempo as in play at approx 240 bpm and then program the beats, it sounds more realistic. It might not work but worth a try to capture the timing better. Doubling the speed gives you more spaces to place the notes to create the desired micro timing.