A place for teachers to discuss issues to do with teaching
By korman
Last week I was spending a vacation with relatives in Provence, and since Louis Cesar Ewande was (only) two hours drive away, I visited him for one private lesson.

He lives in an old farmhouse 25km from city of Nimes (well worth a visit itself). A black grand piano occupies one corner of his studio and there's a violin on a shelf, but, although he is well educated in western music tradition, he teaches african music in african way. Which means beat tapping is forbidden, you must focus on listening and imitating the patterns, also on movement. As he put it "it's ok to be lost, you'll later remember this and laugh", just play and the understanding will come later. Without focusing on the beat it can be easier to do displacements, but for me it still was difficult and unusual.

First thing he commented about my playing was not timing, not even the sound, but posture and hand movement, and gave me some tips on what to watch out for. We then worked on some ternary patterns, then touched upon soloing (I think his videos give a good insight on his ideas about that), and also talked a bit about some of the questions I had. Overall, he's a very relaxed and nice guy, but serious at the same time. If you want to experience different, a more african way of teaching, from someone who equally well understands the western concepts and can notate everything that was done, I really recommend him.