Mendiani
Tiriba
Kuku
Yankadi
Sinte
lamban
By Carl
Just dropping in...
If people keep adding their own personal thoughts here... I will eventually collect all of the "data" and try and give some sort of breakdown.
The idea here is not NOT all agree with each-other, but to see where the agreements/differences are, and why (a lot of it will be regional, but also who you've studied under).

To put it another way, if you haven't posted your ideas here because someone else "beat you to it" put in your own 2 cents (or whatever your local currency would be)

Be back soon-ish.
Carl
By michi
Carl wrote:Be back soon-ish.
The mysterious midnight poster posts again before disappearing into the fog :-)

Michi.
By haworth
I'm surprised to not see Yankadi, or Tiriba, or Mamaya or Zaouli on these lists?

Do the people who frequent this forum and/or who play djembe tend to focus only on Malinke rhythms of High Guinea?

Janice
Dubreka, Guinea
By rachelnguyen
Hi Janice,

In my case, my list is essentially what I have learned from my teacher, who is from Bamako. One that I didn't include before, but might add at this point is Didadi. It is the go to rhythm for beginner dance classes for one of our local teachers.

Rachel
By michi
haworth wrote:I'm surprised to not see Yankadi, or Tiriba, or Mamaya or Zaouli on these lists?
I think all of these have been discussed in the past. Do a search, something is sure to show up!
Do the people who frequent this forum and/or who play djembe tend to focus only on Malinke rhythms of High Guinea?
No, I wouldn't say that. Anything that's more or less traditional djembe is fair game; Susu, Landouma, Temine, Konianke, you name it :)

Michi.
By Waraba
I just love these Mali rhythms:

Ngri
Farabanka
Kairaba
Birea Dansa (or just bire)
Furashidounou
By haworth
As part of my two-years-of-lessons-in-Guinea, I ended up with a list of 21 rhythms that I wanted to know INSIDE-AND-OUT: all parts, all rhythms, all instruments. Although I really love the djembe, I have the most fun playing the Dundun with 2 Kenkedis.

(Question: I hear that referred to as "comporpole" - anyone have a better term or better spelling?)

Janice
Dubreka, Guinea
By djembeweaver
Do you mean vertically so you play down onto them (I call that ballet style) or horizontally with a bell?