djembe zoom

A place for teachers to discuss issues to do with teaching
By korman
Mostly, it seems, djembe teaching (just like playing) is transmitted by personal learning, imitating one's own teachers. However, there must be tons of research about teaching music, what works best with which age groups etc. that could easily be applicable to west african percussion. So, can anyone recommend some good literature on music pedagogy?
By Carl
Ok... there is tons of literature on this, so here's a bit of advise on narrowing it down. :-)

If you check out the Wiki article [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_edu ... uki_method]

That gives you a general overview. Of which Orff and Kodaly are probably the best applications, as they are heavily influenced by call and response and other "folk music" practices.

People have been writing about this pretty heavily for over 100 years, so looking for a focus might help. For example: looking for "teaching rhythms pedagogy" brings up a ton of scholarly articles in Google.

If you already read some Western musical notation, any intro book on music education should give you ideas.

Beyond that I would recommend searching for "interesting rhythm lessons" or "teaching music ideas" on google to start to get an idea of what is out there.

If you are looking for teaching techniques, or examples, you will get even more material!

I have my feet in both the Trad classes and western teaching styles, so if you find anything interesting and are looking for input, I can give you my 2cents.

In the same vein, if you have specific questions post them in the teachers corner, and we'll see what we can dig up!

Good luck!
Carl