By Dugafola
The Madness of the Elephant: A West African Dance, Music and Theater Performance Exploring the Reign of Guinea’s First President, Sekou Touré

Presented by Duniya Dance and Drum Company and the African Advocacy Network in association with Eugene & Elinor Friend Center for the Arts at the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco

Friday, Apr 5 - Saturday, Apr 6, 2013, 8pm
Kanbar Hall at the JCC San Francisco
3200 California St.
San Francisco, CA 94118

Guinea's first president, Ahmed Sekou Touré, a Marxist who believed in Guinea's ability to determine its own destiny, elevated Guinean traditional arts to the world stage. Ruling for 26 years, Touré's reign was marked by liberation, nationalism, and ultimately paranoia and dictatorship.

Through traditional Guinean music and dance, "The Madness of the Elephant" explores Guinea’s controversial first president, nicknamed the “Elephant.” Directed by Bongo Sidibe, the performance features some of the most acclaimed West African dancers and musicians in the world, including Fadima Traore, Marietou Camara, Mariama Bangoura, M'mah Toure, Alseny Soumah, Moise Bangoura, Kara Mack, Bongo Sidibe, Kahlil Cummings, Jamil Diop, Joti Singh and many more! Join Duniya Dance and Drum Company on an exciting musical journey through Guinea’s past and into the future.

This performance is part of the Arts and Ideas series presented at the JCC San Francisco.

Tickets can be purchased at the JCC San Francisco or
online: https://www.jccsf.org/arts-ideas/perfor ... iya-dance/

Standard: $22 | Members $18 | Students $15
Premium: $30 | Members $26
Attachments
elephant.jpg
elephant.jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
By Dugafola
i was also told Mamady Wadaba Kourouma (djembe), Karamo Susso (kora) and Mamady Mansare (flute) have also been added to the mix.

this show is pulling some of the best african artists from the entire west coast.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:this show is pulling some of the best african artists from the entire west coast.
I really wish I could be there :(

Michi.