Discuss djembe masters and prodigies here
By bops
Thanks for the bio, bubudi. For me, Soungalo was the master of masters. Not just because of his virtuosity, but because of his musicality. He really pushed the envelope for the jembe with his group. I envy Vincent Zanetti for having the chance to collaborate with Soungalo on the level at which he did. The work they created together, along with the rest of the group, was really brilliant.

Here's another gem:

http://www.wadoma.com/Dengo.mp3

This version of Dengo was not released on any of his albums. It is a live recording from a concert in Genève, Switzerland. It's a great rendition. Enjoy!
By bubudi
thanks for posting that. here's the local link: http://djembefola.com/uploads/dengo.mp3
i've heard this one before. the non-studio versions of his songs tended to be even better.
soungalo is definitely still no.1 for me. aside from the mountains of knowledge of countless solo phrases flowing off each other it is obvious he had a way to arrange it all in such an awesome way that one's smile gets wider and wider as he builds the music towards a crescendo. his bambara roots come out in the playing but he is one of few non-guineans who has a great handle on some of the intricate guinean rhythms such as konkoba and the dununba rhythms. it is hard to compare anyone to him, but i am really impressed by zoumana dembele from burkina faso and won't be surprised if he gets to a similar level musically in ten years time.
By bops
Vincent Zanetti, a major collaborator with Soungalo, published an interview with him from 2000. I started translating it from French to English a long time ago, so I could share it with everyone here, but I just don't have time to finish it. If anyone feels comfortable reading French and wants to help, let me know. It's a great interview, about 10-11 pages total.
By Michel
Soungalo Coulibaly is a great djembéfola! I am sorry never having the chance seeing him live. In the titels of the video on Vimeo it say it is an extract of "l'art du djembé". Anyone knows where to get it? It won't leave my DVD-player for months, i'm afraid.

Michel
By Dugafola
Michel wrote:Soungalo Coulibaly is a great djembéfola! I am sorry never having the chance seeing him live. In the titels of the video on Vimeo it say it is an extract of "l'art du djembé". Anyone knows where to get it? It won't leave my DVD-player for months, i'm afraid.

Michel
the Vimeo clip is actually an 'extra' from the Soungalo Live DVD. it's the recording of a track off the l'Art du Djembe CD.

i got my copy of Soungalo Live from the french amazon site.
By bubudi
bops wrote:Vincent Zanetti, a major collaborator with Soungalo, published an interview with him from 2000. I started translating it from French to English a long time ago, so I could share it with everyone here, but I just don't have time to finish it. If anyone feels comfortable reading French and wants to help, let me know. It's a great interview, about 10-11 pages total.
wow, long interview. i could help, and eventually we'll get there.
By Dugafola
bubudi wrote:
bops wrote:Vincent Zanetti, a major collaborator with Soungalo, published an interview with him from 2000. I started translating it from French to English a long time ago, so I could share it with everyone here, but I just don't have time to finish it. If anyone feels comfortable reading French and wants to help, let me know. It's a great interview, about 10-11 pages total.
wow, long interview. i could help, and eventually we'll get there.
it's not the one with Soungalo and MK is it?
there's another one with Fams and Fadouba too.

I have some decent translations of both.
By bops
Dugafola wrote:it's not the one with Soungalo and MK is it?
there's another one with Fams and Fadouba too.

I have some decent translations of both.
Different one. That one was also done by Vincent Zanetti. They are all really good. The one you're talking about has 2 parts: a discussion between Mamady and Soungalo, and a discussion between Famoudou and Fadouba. Full of interesting information and perspective from the four greatest masters of our time. Post what you've got, Dugs.

The one I'm referring to is more in-depth about Soungalo, his life and career, his approach to music, how his own jembe style came about, etc. Really, really great stuff. I think everyone would benefit greatly from it. I translated the first 3 pages or so into English, and then my hard drive bricked. I was unable to recover it. So, now I've got to start over. Bubudi, if you're up for helping, I'll email you the doc and we can divide and conquer.
By bubudi
yea go ahead, bops. i should be able to do 1-2 pages per week, so between the two of us we should be able to knock it out in 1-2 months.