Discuss djembe masters and prodigies here
By Dugafola
classics. love the 97 footage cause it shows Kawa in it's more original arrangement without dununba.
By the kid
I'm wondering will the crew who done the Fadouba instructional dvd release any more material of Fadouba and family. They must have more gems recorded. Shame we didn't get Fadouba demonstrating the solos in that dvd. His style is pretty different from the phrazes we see from his sons although they must have been taught Fadoubas original solos. I liked to see MOussas early solo style, as that was more authentic to Fadoubas style imo. I done few classes with Fadouba 10 years ago or whatever, last time he was in Europe and during one Soko class Moussa took over half way through as Fadouba wanted a chill and immediately the technique and phrases changed to the more modern style. We done Kawa, Fakoli, Sofa, and Soko with Fadouba and that was great. I noticed he started a lot of solos with the left hand and also had a lot of intro phrazes with 3 to 5 notes.
By Dugafola
my good friends recorded the DVDs for the oulares as well as the "fadouba" CD. there's definitely more footage and audio. i'm not sure they'll see the light of day any time soon unfortunately.

but i do agree with you on Moussa. he's very modern style...including his attack on the drum. i think Mohammed, Saio and Sekou have the most flavor of their dad in their playing. even when moussa plays the old phrases you notice what it is, but the feel/swing/sentiment is just not there IMO.
By the kid
It must be nice alright. It's crazy really how many guys like Fadouba don't have their phrases, styles and favorite rhythms documented for future generations. At least we have some good footage and cd's/dvds of Fadouba.