[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lamine 'Lopez' Soumah - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Discuss djembe masters and prodigies here
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 9 posts
By bubudi
see full biography here.

lopez taught many of the fine djembefolaw from conakry, particularly those of petits de percussions de guinee (percussions of guinea juniors), like boka camara, bangourake, etc. this video was made during a course in conakry organised by bangourake in 2000. the other players are bangourake, sibo & malin.

By Dugafola
michi wrote:
davidognomo wrote:what is this rythm?cheers
Macru.

Michi.
are you sure it's not yole?
By michi
Dugafola wrote:
michi wrote:
are you sure it's not yole?
I stared at this for a long time asking myself the same question. I concluded Macru for two reasons:
  • The signature Yole accompaniment never appears:
    Code: Select all
    b..tt...b...tttttt.tt...b...b...
  • The accompaniment that is played instead I have heard only with Macru, but never with Yole.
I agree though that it isn't a perfect fit for Macru. The dundunba is almost, but not quite, like the dundunba I know:
Code: Select all
x.xx..x.x.x.x.x.
b..bb...b.b.b...
Unfortunately, I can't hear much of the sangban in the recording, which would provide a better indicator. Overall, I think Macru is right, or at least it's something that is very similar to Macru. But I'm ready to stand corrected ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
they keep calling the yole break with the dununs answering...multiple times actually.

i agree with you on that accomp though.

does the call trump the accomp? dunno.

sounds like a typical conakry confusion mashup.
By michi
Dugafola wrote:they keep calling the yole break with the dununs answering...multiple times actually.
Yes, I noticed that too. But next thing I hear is the Macru accompaniment, and nothing even vaguely like one of the Yole accompaniments. Moreover, I've learned Yole from both Bangourake and Sibo in the past and on more than one occasion, and not once have they played the Macru accompaniment for it. So, I suspect that neither Bangourake nor Sibo would call it Yole either...
sounds like a typical conakry confusion mashup.
Yeah. Shall we start a thread about how the young guys no longer have any respect for the older generation and the traditions, and that things were so much better in the olden days, when the oxen still had bigger heads? ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.
By davidognomo
thanks. As I am much less knowing of these things, I was just locked on the djembe accompaniment, wich I had never heard before. Though Lopez changes it when Sibo starts soloing.
Is it on more than one rythm?

sorry for my ignorance.

Lopez appears on the "les genies du djembe" dvd from les percussiond de guinée, doesn't he?
and who is this guy playing here with bangourake? at the end, when they get to the floor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfAmKkKPudk

the dunumba player is Lancei Kante... can you tell me who are the others.

One thing I was thinking about was to create a thread about noumoudy keita. I've heard so much almost mistical things about him, but there seems not to exist footage of him. I know guedom menciones he is at the video from youtube where you can see mamady I think at famoudou's house, with famoudou, lancei kante, Koungbanan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SuXOnBmDm8

but I can't tell who he is
Shall we start a thread about how the young guys no longer have any respect for the older generation and the traditions

I don't know. Things have evolved so much since the creation of the ballets. The old masters are disapearing and the roots are at the villages. I think we are very lucky to have caught this moment in time where tradition is somewhat alive.
The ballets on one hand gathered traditions from all over guinea and the same in other countries, wich made possible what Mamady passed to the world. But that door that he slightly opened like a thin veil is now wide open and everything is passing both ways without filtering. As I said, being this inevitable, I thing you guys who studied and still do study with the masters are very lucky.

um abraço de Portugal
By bubudi
here's an exerpt from the cd, percussions de guinee vol. 2

in the first video posted, they are playing 'rumba makru', that is, mostly makru, but with a bit of djole mixed in. standard conakry fare.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 9 posts