Discuss djembe masters and prodigies here
By fiene_bee
Dugafola wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:39 pm
He’ll teach wherever he need to. He lives in Badialan neighborhood of Bamako. I have his number if you need it.

Thanks for this swift reply. I love his style! I am planning to spend 3 month in Guinea (Kouroussa region) and Mali (Bamako), and because I will be travelling alone, safety comes first.

I have a friend that is good friends with Kalifa Kone and has studies with Brulaye Doumbouya. He offered me to introduce me to Brulaye the family he stays with when he travels to Mali and adviced me to take lessons with Brulaye in centre Togola.
I am not familiar with Brulayes music, but the idea of having a safe place is appealing ;)

But anyway, how was studying with Drissa? Where and how long did you study with him? Hope your trip went well on all the other fields (sleeping, eating,...)

Greetz, Fiene
By Dugafola
fiene_bee wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:06 pm
Dugafola wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:39 pm
He’ll teach wherever he need to. He lives in Badialan neighborhood of Bamako. I have his number if you need it.

Thanks for this swift reply. I love his style! I am planning to spend 3 month in Guinea (Kouroussa region) and Mali (Bamako), and because I will be travelling alone, safety comes first.

I have a friend that is good friends with Kalifa Kone and has studies with Brulaye Doumbouya. He offered me to introduce me to Brulaye the family he stays with when he travels to Mali and adviced me to take lessons with Brulaye in centre Togola.
I am not familiar with Brulayes music, but the idea of having a safe place is appealing ;)

But anyway, how was studying with Drissa? Where and how long did you study with him? Hope your trip went well on all the other fields (sleeping, eating,...)

Greetz, Fiene
sounds like a nice trip. in 2018, my wife and i traveled between bamako and kouroussa so we know that trip well. we went back to mali this past winter and spent time in bamako and wasulu.

there's many kalifa kone artists in bamako...are you speaking of the balafola from Bwazan? he's super nice as is the entire Kone family.

broulaye would be a great option if you want to learn the older style of playing. i have not met him yet but i'm familiar with his playing etc.

working with drissa was great. he understands teaching and knows how to teach most importantly. he's punctual and always in a good mood. i studied more with him in 2018 but was already very familiar with his style as i'm sure you are from all the videos online. this past year, we mostly just hung out and played weddings and ceremonies. most of my study time was devoted to kamele n'goni.
By fiene_bee
there's many kalifa kone artists in bamako...are you speaking of the balafola from Bwazan? he's super nice as is the entire Kone family.
Hi Duga, yes, I am talking about the balafola from Bwazan.
working with drissa was great. he understands teaching and knows how to teach most importantly. he's punctual and always in a good mood.
Probably, I will start my trip with the workshop Ponda O'Bryan is organising in Baro, with Mansa Camio. The trip starts in Mali with a 4-day retreat in a small village, where Ponda would like to invite Drissa Kone to teach.
Nice way to meet Drissa and discover his teaching, and maybe discuss the possibilities for some intensive training in the period after the Mansa-workshop.

Do you have some recommendations for places where it is good and safe to stay in Bamako?

Many greetings, Fiene