Discuss gear and techniques for recording and stage performance
By grache01
I am first and foremost a djembe player, but I am delving into other hand drums (congas and bongos) to support the band that I perform with.

I think that I need to get a djembe stand so that I can access all of the instruments easily from a standing position during the shows.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with stands? I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one and, if so, which one.

Thanks! :)

Heather
By michi
For aesthetics and stability, I would recommend a wooden one, such as the one shown here. Note that you can make an angle adjustment by lengthening or shortening the string that holds the two halves together.

If you decide to go with a metal stand, I would try it first, with your own djembe. Many of these stands are designed for fibreglass drums and can't cope with the weight of a traditional djembe.

Cheers,

Michi.
By rachelnguyen
And a huge issue with metal stand pictured in the other thread is the angle it forces you to play at. The drum should be tilting AWAY, not towards you. Try before you buy!
By michi
rachelnguyen wrote:And a huge issue with metal stand pictured in the other thread is the angle it forces you to play at. The drum should be tilting AWAY, not towards you.
Uh, Rachel, I think you are meant to stand on the left? ;)
Try before you buy!
Yes, definitely! Also pay attention to how the drum is fixed to the stand. It needs to be firmly held, and the flimsy metal clamps may not be up to the job.

With the wooden stands, people usually hold the drum in place with a bungee cord. Something similar might work for a metal stand, too.

Michi.
By rachelnguyen
Ha ha, Michi. Ok, I actually considered that... but with the angle they have the drum at, you would be hard pressed to reach the head, I think. And even if you tilted it, it seems pretty awkward.

I don't know. Maybe it would work in real life. It just doesn't make sense to me. :-)
By michi
rachelnguyen wrote:Ha ha, Michi. Ok, I actually considered that...
Phew, what a relief! ;)
but with the angle they have the drum at, you would be hard pressed to reach the head, I think. And even if you tilted it, it seems pretty awkward.
Yes, the photo was obviously created by an expert player… ;)
I don't know. Maybe it would work in real life. It just doesn't make sense to me. :-)
To me neither. But there you go. There are many paths to the djembe (some of them littered with spiky metal obstacles…)

Michi :)
By rachelnguyen
There are basket style conga stands that might fit the bill better. You could adjust the angle easily and wouldn't have the drum base in the way of your playing. I just don't know how sturdy they are... or how well a djembe would fit since it's shape is so different.

Heather, I think you are going to have to keep us posted on the solution you come up with! Maybe it will even be something custom made!
By 1rhythm
I have had great success with the Gibraltar GPDS pro djembe stand. This is a well made, heavyweight stand that can be adjusted for any angle and height that you want to have your djembe. I have even used it on the beach with upside down frisbees under the three feet of the stand. Works perfectly. There is however one drawback to using this stand. It does waver back and forth as you play which is something to get used to since you never experience this strapping on the djembe. My post surgery back thanks me each time I have used the stand though.
By TNT
I'm using the first one shown in the link by Meinl. It will adjust from away to towards you and has a wrap around strap to mount most diameters. The tripod stand opens a good 3 feet and is stable. Has foam to keep the metal from damaging the drum. I like it! I keep my shoulder harness attached so I can quick release the strap for easy live access.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc ... jmbe+stand
By grache01
Thanks for all the recommendations! I agree that ideally I should try before I buy, but the problem is that I have absolutely know idea where I could possibly find a store around here (Gettysburg, PA) that would have even one djembe stand for me to try, let alone multiple options. I foresee a long path of internet shopping with lots of "return order" trips to the post office ahead of me. ARGH!

I do need a really sturdy stand, because I play both an amazing ivory coast drum (purchased from Shorty) and a very heavy Mali drum. Also, I'll be keeping in mind that whatever stand I get or make needs to be able to fit snugly into my set-up with congas, bongos, and some other percussion, but still allow plenty of playing room, especially for the djembe since it will still be my primary instrument... so the stand can't be really bulky either. I'm also hoping to not have to spend $100+ on a stand...

!!!!

I will keep you posted on what I figure out, and I'll keep checking back for more comments!
By grache01
For aesthetics and stability, I would recommend a wooden one, such as the one shown here.
Has anyone here actually tried the wooden stand Michi refered to? I would be interested to know how much room the base of the stand is when it's opened for use....
By michi
grache01 wrote: Has anyone here actually tried the wooden stand Michi refered to? I would be interested to know how much room the base of the stand is when it's opened for use....
They work OK. If you want to get close to the drum, you have to straddle the pair of legs. But they aren't that far apart, so it works.

Cheers,

Michi.