Discuss gear and techniques for recording and stage performance
By aghis
I have this Beta 52®A Supercardioid Dynamic Kick Drum Microphone (SHURE). I am trying to record my dunun. Well, actually is Sangban, but my Dunun sounds higher than the Sangban. One thing at a time.

Mamady keita tuning
sang ban open G3 muffled D#4
ken ken open A#3
dun dun open C2 C#2 D2

sangban

one side G#2 - A2
other C#3

ken ken
one side Bounce c4 press G4
other Bounce G3-G#3 press A3

dun dun
one side C#3
other A#2

Its so confusing. I cant get a good sound. My sangban should sound a lot higher than this and dunun should sound lower. I tried to tie them better but nothing changes.

Even worst, when i try to record with my Shure microphone i get a very deep sound, that its getting lost when i add djembe,bell,kpanlogo. If i increase the microphone gain the sound is reaching the red limits. It sounds like saucepans.
By michi
I don't know this microphone first hand, but it may not be suitable. Kick drum microphones are built to withstand enormous sound pressure and will generally only capture the low end of the spectrum.

I take that by saying "it sounds like saucepans", you mean that the recording of your dunduns sounds bad, not the dununs themselves? If so, I'd try a different microphone to start with.

Cheers,

Michi.
By aghis
After spending 500 EUR on that i wouldnt experiment again. This is the microphone used in a normal bass of a drum kit. The best recording of dundun i heard until now is Madou Djembe - Percussions d afrique vol2.
By michi
aghis wrote:After spending 500 EUR on that i wouldnt experiment again. This is the microphone used in a normal bass of a drum kit. The best recording of dundun i heard until now is Madou Djembe - Percussions d afrique vol2.
You can buy a cheap condenser microphone for around $100, and you may be surprised at how well it works. Borrow one and give it a try.

Michi.
By djembeweaver
Record using two channels (and two mikes - obviously). That way you can pick up the low end with the cardoid and the higher frequencies (plus a bit of stick attack) with a condenser placed near the striking area. Then just mix the two channels down so it sounds good.

Don't get obsessed with relative frequencies of duns. Just tune them to a pitch that sounds nice. You can bet Mamady doesn't tune to any specific pitches.
By aghis
I have his book of Mamady with some audio included, these where the tunings i found there. So, you suggest to use a condenser near the sticking area, and use my Beta 52®A Supercardioid Dynamic Kick Drum Microphone (SHURE) at the other end. Instead of using a condenser i tried to use a SM57 Cardioid Dynamic Microphone. Anyway, the only reason i record its for me to play instead of using a metronome, helps me add more feelings in music. Thanks a lot.