Discuss gear and techniques for recording and stage performance
By Rhythm House Drums
Hey guys.. so here is a recording I did of Moribayassa using 2 sm57s and a beta52 (probably not needed) under the solo drum. I recorded each drum separate and on a different channel, I had one mic on the bell and one on the beater side of the head for the dununs. Made some adjustments to the panning and volume of specific instruments, but other than that, no audio tweaks, eq, or anything else... Solo could be tighter, but it was fun, didn't really have anything in mind, just wanted to get something down. :) Let me know what you think... the dununs are ones I built out of walnut, solo djembe is mali shell with cow.
Attachments
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 483 times
By Djembe-nerd
Nicely recorded. I will put this on loop tomorrow and practice my solo too.

Thanks for posting
By michi
Sounds very nice, I'm impressed! Nice natural sound. Also sounds like you recorded this in a room with very very good damping? There is essentially no reverb or echo I can hear. The drums actually sound like themselves, not the room. Nice! :)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Rhythm House Drums
I wanted to do this for the purpose of practicing solos and timing. I drum alot without any reference, and though it sounds good to me, it's not in time... I know this is cause I dont drum with the dununs too much. I plan on recording most the rhythms I know in their bare form like this and then practice solos and work out phrases that really work with specific rhythms. Here is the bare file without the volume adjustments to instruments, without the passport phrase, and without the solo... if you want to use it for practice that's great by me! :)

The sound is because of the sm57s, they pick up hardly no room noise.. but my room is also carpet and quite messy... so that helps. For the djembes, I actually use a mic 6" or so from the head, and one about 4 feet or so from the head, and the beta 52 under (laying on the floor inside the shell) the drum. It sounds a bit fake and choked with the one mic close, but the far mic alone picks up too much room... so putting them together and adjusting the volume so I just barely get a hint of the "room mic" makes the drum seem much more lively and in space rather than using the "head mic" alone. I noticed not much use for the beta 52 to pick up the low end with a composed piece like this, the full ensemble, however, for a djembekan, the beta 52 makes a world of difference in the feel.
Attachments
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 398 times
By wonderwebb
thanks for that i just downloaded both tracks number two should help alot with my timing have you got anymore dununbar parts as a backing i can practise with? If you have can you post them will come in really handy.

What software is best to make a loop with by the time im getting some good solos going on its over and im back up to start it again lol.
cheers webb
By Djembe-nerd
What software is best to make a loop
I use either Reaper or Sony Studio 9
By Rhythm House Drums
Glad this might be useful to others. I use Logic Pro, and can loop it as long as I like. So far this is the only rhythm I've done, it was to see if it was something I'd actually use... and I think I will. I've got lots more rhythms in mind for recording in this way. Maybe if I looped the main section for 5 min?? Is that long enough to practice with?

Also thinking about putting all the dununs on the left channel and the djembe accomp on the right. That way if you want to play djembe accomp you can just fade everything to the left so you just hear the dununs. Does this make sense? Would it be useful as well?

What about tempo? Is the recording above a good speed or should I record them a bit faster/slower? Just want to get some input because I'd like to do 10 or so rhythms for uploading to this community. It'll be great for me in terms of recording and making sure my timing is right on, and if it's useful to you guys I'm happy to do it.

Any suggestions for rhythms? Here are some I'm thinking about recording soon...
Toumani (just learned this from Bill at TTM.. love it)
Sorsonett
didadi
Abondan (new rhythm to me, working on it from Mamady's latest dvd, love the feel)
Dibon
Garagadon
Yankadi
Djansa (I want to record this with the solo out of the Anke Dje Anke Be book)
Sofa
????? ??????
By Djembe-nerd
Also thinking about putting all the dununs on the left channel and the djembe accomp on the right. That way if you want to play djembe accomp you can just fade everything to the left so you just hear the dununs. Does this make sense? Would it be useful as well?

What about tempo? Is the recording above a good speed or should I record them a bit faster/slower? Just want to get some input because I'd like to do 10 or so rhythms for uploading to this community. It'll be great for me in terms of recording and making sure my timing is right on, and if it's useful to you guys I'm happy to do it.
\

I wouldn;t go for dununs on the left and djembe on the right channel, it decreases the volume on the speakers and when you are playing in the house with ear plugs, you need volume. I would go for 2 versions or 3 maybe. 1) Only dununs 2) Dununs + djembes 3) (if applicable) only djembes together.

This is the way RRP has their material and its quite good for making loops. You learn the djembe parts, play them against each other, and then practice it with the dunun only part, and then play all together and solo. This is my routine, though I would like suggestions if anything can be improved in this process.

Tempo can be controlled in both the softwares I mentioned earlier keeping the pitch, so record it at your normal speed.

I suggest rhythyms that have been less available by others informative Cd or DVD's.
By wonderwebb
I think your idea is spot on ! Been using the moribayassa which is great for practise I'll be looking forward to your new uploads. 5 mins sounds like a good time to me . Keep up the good work .